Propagation New Comer

This forum is for newcomers to the Forums to find out more about using the Garden Express Forums. It contains some general guidelines and hints on making the most of the Forums. It SHOULD NOT be used for posting queries or general chat.

Moderators: Forum_mod, Pam, abwal

Propagation New Comer

Postby Arid_Viper » Sat Jun 11, 2011 6:01 pm

Hi all, am the new guy here so just been looking around and am wanting to ask a few questions and what not.

Is anyone here interested in propagation? Do any members here spend time growing they're plants from seed?

I am in the slow process of doing the backyard up and have decided that while I am doing so I will spend some time growing plants from seed which I am taking quite an interest in, and surprisingly enjoying as well.

I'm mainly looking to grow drought and frost hardy plants at the moment but also have a small variety of other plants that have caught my eye. So far I have bought seeds with intensions of growing Dragon Tree, Agave, Yukka, Bird of Paradise, Sturt Desert Pea, Pencil Pine, Australias Grass Tree, NZ Flax, NSW Waratah, Turf Lily, Kangaroo Paw, Celosia, Portulaca, have also purchased some fern pores as I have found it interesting in how they are grown and developed in time.

I bought a load of cheap mini propagation kits as well as some jiffy pots which I have all set up out back in a nice sunny area, although this cold at the moment and cloud cover isn't exactly helping much but things are starting to shoot so all good, have also bought myself a little greenhouse set up to put together and store all the plants in while they develope and are strong enough to plant.

Anyone interested in throwing some tips my way or ideas or anything? Would much be appreciated, cheers.
Arid_Viper
Propagator

Re: Propagation New Comer

Postby GoldenWattle » Sat Jun 11, 2011 6:26 pm

Hi Arid Viper - and welcome to the forum!

My first tip to you is that the search box in the top right corner is excellent for browsing old threads about topics that might be of interest to you. There are a number of on here who are into propagating. I do cuttings and grow from seed. Check out this propagation thread to read about how I did cuttings in autumn. I've also tried growing from seed and have learned from mistakes as well as feedback from others. Have a read of some of the existing threads and feel free to ask specific questions.

Cheers,
GoldenWattle (#)
GoldenWattle
Gardening Sage

Postby Arid_Viper » Sat Jun 11, 2011 6:45 pm

Cheers Wattle, will have a look around more, should have done that to begin with, cheers.
Arid_Viper
Propagator

Postby Pam » Sun Jun 12, 2011 5:47 am

Welcome arid viper. :) I'll be interested to hear how you go with your fern spores.
Pam
Garden Wizard

Postby Arid_Viper » Sun Jun 12, 2011 9:19 am

Cheers Pam, I have been reading up on how they are meant to be grown and I found it very interesting, it's been freezing so far this weekend so I'm not going outside to start my little project yet, will once these clouds bugger off and the sun comes out with a small amount of heat, haha.
Arid_Viper
Propagator

Postby abwal » Sun Jun 12, 2011 10:40 am

Welcome, Arid Viper. You should find a lot of good information on the forum, however, feel free to ask for specific information at any time.
Gardening is sharing.
abwal
Garden Wizard

Postby grevs1 » Tue Jun 14, 2011 4:01 pm

hi arid-viper
welcome......... am a newey as well and joint only a few weeks ago and found already so many answers and great conversations with people..had a rose i had been given identified from lovely people on here and find it very interesting....!
and everybody seems to know a lot of different things , so its great to ask questions !..... and yes please tell us how you are going with those fern-spores !!!!.......
grevs1
Head Curator

Postby bege » Mon Jan 14, 2013 11:29 am

Wondering how the ferns spore have gone? If you had much luck or not, currently started a fern spore project my self.
bege
Weeder

Postby karyn » Mon Jan 14, 2013 4:39 pm

I do a lot of propagation from cuttings, I rarely grow from seed because my watering is hit and miss due to shift work. I used to grow for trees for life, but not any more. Your desert peas will need to be soaked in just boiled water overnight, or scarified with sandpaper. Not both! Snails love them, so put out snail pellets when you plant the seed. Don't be afraid to fertilise the peas and the Kangaroo Paws quite a bit, they both like regular fertiliser and water but good drainage is a must.
karyn
Gardening Sage

Return to Garden Express Newcomers Guide