Hello

This forum is for newcomers to the Forums to find out more about using the Garden Express Forums. It contains some general guidelines and hints on making the most of the Forums. It SHOULD NOT be used for posting queries or general chat.

Moderators: Forum_mod, Pam, abwal

Hello

Postby Mum-of-boys » Wed Jan 11, 2012 8:49 am

Hi to all am a newbie and very excited to find this forum. Am an addicted Hoya & Hippeastrum grower even if it is by trial an error. Hoping to learn heaps
Mum-of-boys
Weeder

Re: Hello

Postby abwal » Wed Jan 11, 2012 9:16 am

Welcome, MOB.
Gardening is sharing.
abwal
Garden Wizard

Postby Mum-of-boys » Wed Jan 11, 2012 10:20 am

Also very pleased that 5 out of the 6 Arum lilly bulbs I purchased last year have flowered. Are there any other Hoya, Hippie and Arum fans out ther in plant world?? :D
Mum-of-boys
Weeder

Postby colour-me-blue » Wed Jan 11, 2012 12:17 pm

Hi Mum-of-boys. Spent a few years out your way in Coonamble.

I've recently just dug my hippies that were now in complete shade. Transplated a few bulbs and they're starting to come through. Have others in a pot. I'm still very new to gardening, so don't really know what I'm doing. If a few survive I'll be happy.

Hope you enjoy the fourm.
colour-me-blue
Pruner

Postby Mum-of-boys » Wed Jan 11, 2012 12:41 pm

Hi CMB, Fellow country person - I have all my plants in pots. The hippies or anything else have never been dug up, so far they are flourishing, restraining myself from over loving them = too much water is the hardest thing. Particularly when I have the Arums who love the water.
Mum-of-boys
Weeder

Postby Pam » Thu Jan 12, 2012 5:44 am

Hi Mum of Boys. I spent a number of years in Dubbo. Had great success with hippies and arums there, so the climate is obviously very much to their liking. I didn't have hoyas then, but I suspect they'd be a little better behaved there than they are here. I recently had to rescue the shadehouse from being swallowed by them. Do you have a garden aside from your potted collections?
Pam
Garden Wizard

Postby Mum-of-boys » Fri Jan 13, 2012 8:46 am

Hi Pam, Love my hoyas very much, my boys just can't get their heads around me watching and waiting for the flowers and growth spurts. Would love my hoyas to be faster growing but I live in Central NSW so they will grow as this climate suits them. Only have pots no garden anymore - just found being single Mum, working fulltime, and all the normal stuff associated with life the weeds were faster than me so Pots it is so much easier for me. Am currently getting a shadecloth cover over a side garden from the house to the fence - can't wait to start adding pots on the wall of the house and the fence - can't do that now as it is far to hot and need to complete before winter as will be far too cold - LOL. Will probably be asking for suggestions for what to put in this area as time goes on. Actually I have 2 very large pots under my front patio which faces north and I just can't decide what to put in them so that I have something that is an easy attractive plant no need to really have flowers as I love different foliage but low care factor and suggestions would be greatly appreciated.
Mum-of-boys
Weeder

Postby snakecharma » Fri Jan 20, 2012 7:58 am

Hi MOB,
welcome :) my family are from Baradine, and I still have rellies (and in -laws) around Dubbo.

I am a Arum (zanadeschia) fan, all mine in pots, many different colours but my favourite would be Pot Black. Also have a dragon arum, it grew well last year but I think it will be a while yet before it flowers.
If Life gives you lemons - squirt someone in the eye!

Please visit & like my page! - https://www.facebook.com/pages/Sterling-Snakes/378011622339478
snakecharma
Groundsperson

Postby Mum-of-boys » Mon Jan 23, 2012 9:06 am

Hi snakecharma, After reading your post last week, over the weekend I happened to read an letter contributed in a magazine on Dragon lilles Apparently the smell can be disipated from the flower by cutting the flower and sitting in a bucket of water overnight - though you may be intrested to know.
Mum-of-boys
Weeder

Return to Garden Express Newcomers Guide