Butterfly Plants

This forum is for newcomers to the Forums to find out more about using the Garden Express Forums. It contains some general guidelines and hints on making the most of the Forums. It SHOULD NOT be used for posting queries or general chat.

Moderators: Forum_mod, Pam, abwal

Butterfly Plants

Postby Nanny Char » Wed Feb 01, 2012 8:56 pm

Hi I am brand new to this board and I am looking to find some help from people who I know have so much more knowlege than I do about plants!

I have a side garden (actually 2 side gardens) and I want to plant out shrubs and flowers that will encourage butterflies into my garden. I live at Burpengary, while I love plants I am afraid that staring a garden from scratch is not something I have done before. This butterfly garden is to be a special place as our grandson passed away on New Years Eve at 21 months old and this garden is for us to go and think of him. I would love to be surrounded by butterlies as we let them go after his funeral.

I am really hoping someone can push start me in the right direction. I don't really want to get it wrong.

Nanny Char
Nanny Char
Apprentice

Re: Butterfly Plants

Postby abwal » Thu Feb 02, 2012 10:12 am

Welcome, Nanny.

For your special garden you could try pentas - easy to grow and attractive to butterflies. Just do a Google image search for 'pentas flower' to have a look at some of the colours.

Buddleia is also good for attracting butterflies, but I find it difficult to grow here as the hot dry northerlies kill it.
Gardening is sharing.
abwal
Garden Wizard

Re: Butterfly Plants

Postby Nanny Char » Thu Feb 02, 2012 9:08 pm

Thank you :) I will take a look for these.
Nanny Char
Apprentice

Return to Garden Express Newcomers Guide