Newbie on le fevre peninsula (Adelaide)

This forum is for newcomers to the Forums to find out more about using the Garden Express Forums. It contains some general guidelines and hints on making the most of the Forums. It SHOULD NOT be used for posting queries or general chat.

Moderators: Forum_mod, Pam, abwal

Newbie on le fevre peninsula (Adelaide)

Postby Jonesy_sa » Thu Jul 26, 2012 9:48 pm

Hi all,

A quick prologue:
I have purchased my first property on the le fevre peninsula. My location says Semaphore however i am closer to North Haven. The house i bought was quite run down (all my budget allowed) and i have spent the last year making it liveable. Im at the stage where i can devote time to gardening, of which i have not a clue, and where this forum should help ;-)
The area i live, from what i have experienced in the last year, is on average dryer then the rest of Adelaide. It seems most rain comes in over Semaphore or further north following the river down and skipping alot of the coast. Im about 600-700m from the beach and a few chaps in the area run bore water, the quality of which im not sure (point being the water table cant be to low).
I will post in more detail in the specific topics, however my main initial projects will be to establish a small hedge out the front, find a suitable roadside tree, establish some privacy plants on the side fence etc. From there i can focus on flowers and landscaping in general.
Im impatient and on a tight budget so where possible i will look for fast growing trees and would like to learn how to use cuttings.
Looking forward to discussions with you all and an initial apology for my complete lack of knowledge in this area.
Cheers
Jonesy
Jonesy_sa
Lawn trimmer

Re: Newbie on le fevre peninsula (Adelaide)

Postby Pam » Fri Jul 27, 2012 5:43 am

Hi Jonesy, and welcome. :)

I was once talking to a lady who lived just a few hundred metres from the beach. She had their ground water tested, and found that it was six times saltier than sea water! That would have been a shock to the system, and if people in your area are using it, then it can't be too bad?? If the opportunity presents itself to have it tested at some point it's probably worthwhile.
Pam
Garden Wizard

Postby karyn » Fri Jul 27, 2012 10:08 am

Hi Jonesy, I am also an Adelaidean, albeit about 90 minutes from you. I'd imagine your soil is slightly alkaline, but do you know if it's sandy loam, clay, limestone etc underneath? Dig a hole about a spade depth and fill with water, then see how long it takes to drain away. Do this in the spots you want to plant first - the hedge area and the privacy area. This will help us help you with plant selection, by giving us info regarding your drainage. If you know anyone with a pH testing kit, ask to borrow it. They can cost about $20 at the big B hardware store.
karyn
Gardening Sage

Postby abwal » Fri Jul 27, 2012 5:28 pm

Welcome, Jonesy.

Remember you can get great info. about the best plants for your area by taking notice of what is growing well for other people in the area. Taking photos will help with ID. ( Read 'Tips to help identification' in Plant& Pest ID). Armed with this information, ask away. :D There is every likelihood that ID will be made and some information given on growing.
Gardening is sharing.
abwal
Garden Wizard

Postby AdamBorzy » Fri Jul 27, 2012 5:45 pm

Hi Jonesy,

Welcome to gardenexpress.com.au where people learn and share great information and tips on how to grow best plants in the area.
Throw in any questions you want to ask and sure someone will gladly help.
See yah around.
AdamBorzy
Groundsperson

Postby Bob » Fri Jul 27, 2012 6:02 pm

g,day jones,y :P
Bob
Propagator

Return to Garden Express Newcomers Guide