New to forum, new to gardening

This forum is for newcomers to the Forums to find out more about using the Garden Express Forums. It contains some general guidelines and hints on making the most of the Forums. It SHOULD NOT be used for posting queries or general chat.

Moderators: Forum_mod, Pam, abwal

New to forum, new to gardening

Postby Rosie's Mum » Fri Oct 05, 2012 5:52 pm

Hi there!
I have recently become the proud new owner of two acres of beautifully planted and thoughtfully designed garden on the NSW Central Tablelands - and I know nothing about gardening! Nada. Zilch. Zip. Well, actually, over the last month or so my knowledge has increased about 500% and I am reading avidly and enjoying searching for relevant topics on this forum. I have lots of questions to ask, most of them probably very basic, and was pleased to find this site. We have roses, camellias and rhodadendrons (see, I can't even SPELL!), fruit and nut trees, a herb garden, masses of vegies and a host of assorted trees and shrubs that I am yet to identify. It's very exciting though rather overwhelming if I actually sit down and think about it, which I am trying not to do too much of - just working out what are the most important things to do for this time of the year. I'm planning on mulching the fruit trees next weekend and have ordered some heirloom vegie seeds for planting once the last frost has been and gone. I'm just hoping I won't kill off too much in the first year :D
Ciao
Rosie's Mum
Be the person your dog thinks you are
Rosie's Mum
Pruner

Re: New to forum, new to gardening

Postby Pam » Sat Oct 06, 2012 5:49 am

Hi Rosie's Mum. Welcome. :)

Ask away - we were all beginners once ourselves. We have a wide range of gardening interests amongst our members, so there is usually someone who can help out with most things.
Pam
Garden Wizard

Postby abwal » Sat Oct 06, 2012 9:37 am

Welcome to the forum.
Gardening is sharing.
abwal
Garden Wizard

Postby karyn » Sat Oct 06, 2012 11:42 am

Welcome, the first thing you need to do is take lots of photos so we can all see it!! Ask away, no question is too silly.
karyn
Gardening Sage

Postby Cosmic » Sat Oct 06, 2012 3:04 pm

Every time we sow a seed or plant a plant we are beginners. It's a wonderful place to start and you'll find many helpful ( and good hearted) soul here.
Cosmic
Head Curator

Postby Jaybu84 » Mon Oct 08, 2012 1:58 pm

Hi!

I'm new to gardening as well, I bet 2 acres is a bit daunting! I have a small townhouse backyard that I am making the most of which has been challenge enough sometimes!

Do you have plans on what you would like to do with the space? As someone who has dreams of acreage and plants I would love to hear your progress, good luck & enjoy :)

Jay
Jaybu84
Propagator

Postby ColinM » Wed Oct 17, 2012 8:47 am

Hi Rosie's Mum and Jay,

Welcome to GE ! :D

Great bunch of very helpful and knowledable folk in here, so enjoy 8)
Dig It!

ColinM

For a man, the definition of HELL is singularly having to refit a king sized button-up doona cover that has been washed inside out!
ColinM
Senior Curator

Postby Rosie's Mum » Fri Nov 09, 2012 9:35 pm

Many thanks for your kind welcome folks - really appreciated. Jay, the garden is already laid out beautifully so for the first year I'm just concentrating on keeping everything alive and thriving. We've been concentrating on moving recently but now I'm moving into looking after the individual beds and have a few issues that I will look for advice on the forums.
Again - thanks!
Be the person your dog thinks you are
Rosie's Mum
Pruner

Return to Garden Express Newcomers Guide