Newbie - plus random compost seedling.. :)

This forum is for newcomers to the Forums to find out more about using the Garden Express Forums. It contains some general guidelines and hints on making the most of the Forums. It SHOULD NOT be used for posting queries or general chat.

Moderators: Forum_mod, Pam, abwal

Newbie - plus random compost seedling.. :)

Postby Jaybu84 » Mon Oct 08, 2012 1:48 pm

Hi all!

New to the joys of gardening and loving every second so far! It's great to find a place I can be excited about all the happenings with my plants - friends & family starting the glaze over when I mention plants. :roll:

I have started with seeds and so far have sweet corn, capsicum, tomatoes, strawberries & snow peas. I also have an ornamental chilli, indoor palm (unsure of the variety though, was a gift) and two very patient and understanding orchids. My poor orchids haven't flowered in a couple of years but are still green and getting bigger. I plan to put some more love into these but veggies my current focus.

I also started a compost bin which is going well - I found my first happy wormies last week so that's a good sign I think?
When turning my compost last week I found a random seedling striving to get to the top of the bin. Approx 10cm tall - just one stalk very pale with two little green leaves on top (also pale green from lack of light I guess). I haven't been able to identify it but salvaged and re-planted to see what happens. If anyone has some ideas? I have photos but haven't figured out how to add them yet! I found similar seedlings yesterday in the compost and these have what look like pumpkin seeds still attached ... But all the images I find of pumpkin are much shorter than I have.

Looking forward to reading all the great advice & excitement throughout the forums :)

Jay
Jaybu84
Propagator

Re: Newbie - plus random compost seedling.. :)

Postby abwal » Mon Oct 08, 2012 4:35 pm

Welcome, Jay.

Your orchids may need more light. Try placing them where they get early morning sun - < 9a.m.
Gardening is sharing.
abwal
Garden Wizard

Postby Jaybu84 » Mon Oct 08, 2012 4:46 pm

Thanks abwal! I have been keeping them in a fairly dark area - have been told orchids don't like any direct sun and prefer indoors so they have been in the lounge room which is bright but not direct on the orchids.

Definitely will try the suggestion! Thanks :)

Jay
Jaybu84
Propagator

Postby Pam » Tue Oct 09, 2012 5:14 am

It's great to find a place I can be excited about all the happenings with my plants - friends & family starting the glaze over when I mention plants. :roll:

haha don't you hate that? Welcome Jay.

If you have put pumpkin seeds in the compost there's a fairly high chance that is what your seedlings are. You can't always rely on pictures on the net when the situations those plants grow in vary from yours (and from one another.) The majority of those you probably found would have been grown under ideal conditions, whereas yours might be reaching for light (hence the longer stalks) or in the case of the one in the compost pile, simply reaching for the surface. Pumpkings, potatoes, and often tomatoes amongst the things that will always want to shoot if you put them in the compost.
Pam
Garden Wizard

Return to Garden Express Newcomers Guide