Newbie from Bendigo

This forum is for newcomers to the Forums to find out more about using the Garden Express Forums. It contains some general guidelines and hints on making the most of the Forums. It SHOULD NOT be used for posting queries or general chat.

Moderators: Forum_mod, Pam, abwal

Newbie from Bendigo

Postby bege » Mon Jan 14, 2013 11:49 am

Hi all, new to forum and sort of new to gardening. Gardening has been an interest for a number of years but not until recent that its become more of a passion. We have 20 aces of heaverly tree"d grey box Forrest. Slowly starting to develop gardens and back yard stuff for the kids. Soil quality is very poor as it rock hard dirt with sandstone rock through out. I have started growing from seed some grevilleas, banksias, westerias, bird of paradise, kangaroo paws, wattles and bottle brush plus about 13 different fern spore hot houses. Because of the poor soil and large scale of possible garden beds I have 6 large bins to compost horse poo.
Hope to talk to some of you soon and share some ideas.
Thanks for reading, Brad
bege
Weeder

Re: Newbie from Bendigo

Postby Sam » Mon Jan 14, 2013 1:10 pm

Hi Brad, and welcome!

Have fun here and don't forget to post photos of your progress...it is amazing to re-visit them in a few months time and see what a difference you've made.
“Tomatoes and oregano make it Italian, wine and tarragon
make it French, sour cream makes it Russian, lemon and
cinnamon make it Greek, soya sauce makes it Chinese, Garlic
makes it good.” Alice May Brock, Alice’s Restaurant Cookbook.
Sam
Garden Wizard

Postby abwal » Mon Jan 14, 2013 5:17 pm

Welcome, Bege.
Gardening is sharing.
abwal
Garden Wizard

Postby JNarelle » Tue Jan 15, 2013 8:28 pm

Hi Brad looking forward to progress pics :) and love to hear about what plants you've grown from seed.
i like to sprout my own trees, well i have a go at pretty much anything that has a seed pod :wink:
JNarelle
Curator

Postby lilly60 » Sat Jan 19, 2013 3:59 pm

Hi Brad. Sounds like you will have your work cut out for you (no pun intended there!) re: your soil. Sounds like an exciting project though to get it all established with your new plantings. I am also very interested in seeing pics of your progress. Make sure you take some before shots though..I didn't and I am sorry now, as you do tend, over time, to forget how it was before you started developing the garden (no matter how big or how small).
lilly60
Groundsperson

Postby Pam » Sun Jan 20, 2013 4:50 am

Welcome Brad. :)
Pam
Garden Wizard

Postby ColinM » Tue Jan 22, 2013 11:47 am

Welcome to GE Brad, 20 acres will keep you busy :lol: - looking forward to your posts! 8)
Dig It!

ColinM

For a man, the definition of HELL is singularly having to refit a king sized button-up doona cover that has been washed inside out!
ColinM
Senior Curator

Return to Garden Express Newcomers Guide