Introducing Myself

This forum is for newcomers to the Forums to find out more about using the Garden Express Forums. It contains some general guidelines and hints on making the most of the Forums. It SHOULD NOT be used for posting queries or general chat.

Moderators: Forum_mod, Pam, abwal

Introducing Myself

Postby DawBren » Tue Aug 20, 2013 6:22 am

Hello
I'm glad I have found this forum after being introduced to a GE brochure just the other week by a neighbour. I'm gonna need all the advice and help I can get. We have been in our new home 12 months and starting from scratch garden/yard-wise. We planted a number of deciduous trees before the building program began and since have added some evergreen ashes on our just under an acre property. I've already planted out quite a few of my potted plants as we were in a rental situation for 4 years prior. This was my 'garden' (under a very large covered alfresco area), until we decided on and planned where we would move to. Most are doing OK, some have suffered.

I've ordered numerous mixed day lilies from GE to hopefully help put some colour into a somewhat drab landscape to date, and a selection of roses. And we have a very ambitious project happening in the form of a vertical garden between our carport and verandah/portico of which I've read a lot on but still somewhat uncertain about what to plant.

We've experienced our first frosts here :( and are contending with very strong northwesterly winds when they hit so it is all quite challenging but exciting at the same time. Hubby and I have been amateurishly planning and planting, ever hopeful we've picked the right spots for certain plants/shrubs/trees. Will post photos as I learn how, and be very interested for your inputs.
DawBren
Weeder

Re: Introducing Myself

Postby midgin » Tue Aug 20, 2013 3:11 pm

What an exciting time in your life, DawBren. I trust you and your husband will enjoy this wonderful time of deciding what to plant and where. You have a great sized area to 'play' with...I wish you well. (Y)
midgin
Garden Wizard

Postby abwal » Tue Aug 20, 2013 4:53 pm

Welcome to the forum.

I have seen vertical gardens planted with bromeliads - the smaller growing ones look best and are not as heavy. Herbs also do well if they can get sufficient light.
Gardening is sharing.
abwal
Garden Wizard

Postby Pam » Wed Aug 21, 2013 5:18 am

welcome DawBren.I'll look forward to your photos.
Pam
Garden Wizard

Postby DawBren » Thu Aug 22, 2013 3:42 am

Thank you Garden Wizards.
I'm still trying to figure out how to post photos as I want to show where my vertical garden will be situated. Thanks for the tip about small bromeliads, abwal. I had thought about them and will look out for them when I get by a nursery next opportunity.

Question: Because we don't live near large nurseries, and smaller ones close by have limited varieties and stock (especially if you have your heart set on a particular plant and/or colour - like the roses I ordered online - are there any recommendations of online nurseries (besides GE) that are worthwhile to tap into?

Ooo...hubby and I started on the framework for our boardwalks, today. Big job and my task was to quickset the stirrups in on one side. Can't wait to walk on an even surface around the yard...lol, especially out to the clothes line. Mmm, what to plant in between. I went through my little box of various seeds people have given me (forgotten all about them till now)and found a stash of hollyhocks and japonica camellias. OK. Let's see how I go getting these to germinate. Been surfing the net to make sure I do it right.

I shovelled in more soil into our herb garden boxes - gleaned from a mine site by permission. My poor little sage plant is hanging in there despite some frosty nights.

Thanks for the welcome.
DawBren
Weeder

I Did It!

Postby DawBren » Thu Aug 22, 2013 4:24 am

:D I finally figured out how to post a photo and comment. For those who may be interested, I've posted my Vertical Garden project in the Miscellaneous Garden category. Cheers.
DawBren
Weeder

Postby Pam » Thu Aug 22, 2013 5:40 am

http://www.gardenexpress.com.au/photopo ... ct&cat=528

Pics tend to get lost over there Dawbren. lol

If you want to put them in a regular post, simply scroll down a bit when you're posting and you will see an 'upload attachment' tab, and you can post your pics through there. If you want to insert writing between multiple pics, simply do the words, then upload the relevant pic, then click on 'place inline,' then proceed to the next, and so-forth.
Pam
Garden Wizard

Postby abwal » Thu Aug 22, 2013 9:01 am

It's looking good already. Keep up the good work and post lots of photos in the Gallery forum.
Gardening is sharing.
abwal
Garden Wizard

Return to Garden Express Newcomers Guide