Trying to grow veggies

This forum is for newcomers to the Forums to find out more about using the Garden Express Forums. It contains some general guidelines and hints on making the most of the Forums. It SHOULD NOT be used for posting queries or general chat.

Moderators: Forum_mod, Pam, abwal

Trying to grow veggies

Postby Smac » Wed Oct 15, 2014 10:37 am

G'day all,

Fairly new to gardening. I've done a bit over the years but certainly don't know much/enough. My mum always had a good gardening, but as a boy I didn't really take much notice of flowers.

But as I've got older, growing fruit and veg has become more interesting to me.

Im in my mid 30's married with 3 kids, so hoping to grow veggies for our own use.

We live in a rented house, but it has a number of fruit trees already planted (not looked after), so I'm trying to slowly sort them out (I guess I'll be putting questions in the relevant section on this), I have made up a raised garden bed and the owners of our house doesn't mind if we have chickens, so I will be building a chicken coop soon.

I work in a tech role, but totally sick of it and would love to be able to spend all my time in the garden.

Cheers
Shem Mac
Wanting to grow as much of our own food as possible. Also hoping we can move to a bigger yard.
Smac
Weeder

Re: Trying to grow veggies

Postby abwal » Wed Oct 15, 2014 6:03 pm

Welcome to the forum. Someone will know the answers to all your questions, so do not hesitate to seek help.
Gardening is sharing.
abwal
Garden Wizard

Postby tanyanicolekalin » Thu Oct 16, 2014 7:11 am

Welcome :) I'm new as well. There's a lot to learn but it's a lot of fun
tanyanicolekalin
Head Gardener

Postby kombi69 » Thu Oct 16, 2014 6:35 pm

Some of my tips for newcomers.
Start small area, then expand.
Grow what you are familiar with and interested in eating at first. Go more exotic later.
Easy to grow, but noticeably better tasting homegrown gives me my bang for buck, eg tomatoes, corn. (because so readily available and cheap I don't grow my own potatoes and onions. Carrots only for fresh eating, for cooking I buy, or rather I don't cook carrots I have grown because they taste so good raw!)

Get a handle on pH early. I would have saved a lot of time, effort and money early if I understood pH better years ago. Basically if pH is acidic or alkaline it limits how much of a nutrient a plant can take in. So no matter how much of that nutrient you supply, if pH not at premium level (for most veges this is neutral), the plant will not take up select nutrients. Around neutral pH, most nutrients available to most plants. Some plants prefer either acidic or alkaline because the nutrients they need can been taken up by them in these pH ranges.
(but don't obsess over pH and note that if grow organic pH is not such a fussy thing anyway, that is a whole other story though ... )
kombi69
Head Gardener

Postby Sam » Fri Oct 17, 2014 5:18 pm

Hi Shem - and welcome!

How old are your kids?

Growing vegies that they are interested in makes a big difference. Cherry tomatoes are great for that. Also carrots, but maybe not the right time to start them.
“Tomatoes and oregano make it Italian, wine and tarragon
make it French, sour cream makes it Russian, lemon and
cinnamon make it Greek, soya sauce makes it Chinese, Garlic
makes it good.” Alice May Brock, Alice’s Restaurant Cookbook.
Sam
Garden Wizard

Postby Smac » Fri Oct 17, 2014 9:46 pm

HI all,

thanks for the welcomes.

Sam, the kids range from almost 4 to about 9. So down the track ill be trying to sort out an area for them to start growing their own bits and pieces. See how we go anyway.
Wanting to grow as much of our own food as possible. Also hoping we can move to a bigger yard.
Smac
Weeder

Return to Garden Express Newcomers Guide