Gladioli

This forum is for newcomers to the Forums to find out more about using the Garden Express Forums. It contains some general guidelines and hints on making the most of the Forums. It SHOULD NOT be used for posting queries or general chat.

Moderators: Forum_mod, Pam, abwal

Gladioli

Postby Miss Peetie » Sat Jan 03, 2015 1:57 pm

Hello everyone,
I'm new to this and to planting bulbs, most of them have turned out well, but my gladioli have developed a rust? The flowers formed then died, what it it? & how do I fix it ? Thank you in advance :D
Miss Peetie
Apprentice

Re: Gladioli

Postby dalelesley » Tue Jun 30, 2015 1:41 pm

Are your bulbs new or have you had them in before? If you have had them in before it is possible they have picked up THRIP. This can be seen on the leaves etc as it causes streaking on the leaves and damage to flowers. Bulbs should be dusted in an Insecticide and planted in another part of the garden so they are not re contaminated. Extreme heat can also cause similar symptoms to Thrip damage on flowers. Mine enjoy a good handful of blood and bone dug in before planting and I also give them a dose of slow release when the leaves start to show through. If you are intending to lift your bulbs between seasons it's a good idea to store them in a cool dark place and dust with insecticide for next years planting. I found brown paper bags work a treat with a few holes punched into the bag so the bulbs do not sweat. The only other pest I have encounted is Aphid but if you have the lady bugs or preying mantis in your garden they will make short work of the Aphid. Ohh just one other thing I always put my stakes in at the same time I'm planting my bulbs this way you do not risk stabbing your bulb. Hope this of help to you and welcome to our forum.
Happy Gardening.
dalelesley
Head Gardener

Re: Gladioli

Postby midgin » Tue Jun 30, 2015 3:02 pm

midgin
Garden Wizard

Return to Garden Express Newcomers Guide