plant pot fertiliser

This forum is for newcomers to the Forums to find out more about using the Garden Express Forums. It contains some general guidelines and hints on making the most of the Forums. It SHOULD NOT be used for posting queries or general chat.

Moderators: Forum_mod, Pam, abwal

plant pot fertiliser

Postby Goldengirl » Sat Aug 29, 2015 7:28 pm

Can a slow release "All Purpose" fertiliser be used for pot plants or do you have to use one specific for pot plants?
Goldengirl
Lawn trimmer

Re: plant pot fertiliser

Postby abwal » Sat Aug 29, 2015 10:20 pm

Welcome to the forum. All purpose fertilizer can be used for most potted plants. It is always a good idea to do a search on line for cultural notes for the plant you plan to grow. These notes will often indicate if the plant is not able to tolerate lime - in which case you would need to check on the contents of the fertilizer.
Gardening is sharing.
abwal
Garden Wizard

Postby Goldengirl » Sun Aug 30, 2015 1:04 pm

Thanks for the info abwal. I was told years ago not to use it for potted roses and have since then used only pot plant fertiliser with all pot plants. I now find myself living out of town and not always having some on hand. I will check out each plants needs and use the general purpose one where I can when I run out. Again thanks.
Goldengirl
Lawn trimmer

Postby dalelesley » Wed Sep 02, 2015 3:30 pm

You can get a rose slow release might be good also if you can add a tad of sulphate of pot ash this encourages flowers where blood and bone encourages growth.
dalelesley
Head Gardener

Return to Garden Express Newcomers Guide