Storing bulbs longterm

The forum for queries and discussion on bulbs and related plants such as corms, tubers and rhizomes.

Moderators: Forum_mod, Pam, Sam, Bulbinella, Lea

Storing bulbs longterm

Postby Wanderer » Mon May 30, 2011 11:20 am

Probably been asked before but...........

How long can bulbs be stored OUT of the ground?
I want to start collecting bulbs to plant at our new house but they may not be able to go in the ground for a couple or more years.
I want masses of many varieties which is why I want to start collecting now.

And what is the best way to store them?
Cheers
Wanderer
Take my advice..... I don't use it anyway.
Wanderer
Curator

Re: Storing bulbs longterm

Postby Pam » Mon May 30, 2011 11:31 am

I would't do that. The bulbs need the regular growing season to replenish themselves, and are likely to simply shrivel away to nothing if they're stored for that length of time (don't ask me how I know this :( .) If you have the space in the garden, plant as you regularly would, but use bulb planting baskets, which can simply be dug up again, complete with bulbs once they've gone dormant. Alternately, you can use pots.

The type of bulbs you're wanting to grow will determine how they're best stored when dormant. Lily bulbs, for instance, don't go entirely dormant, so shouldn't really be uprooted for any length of time.
If you can give an indication of the type of bulbs you're specifically wanting to grow, Wanderer, it would help to give specific information for their particular storage needs.
Pam
Garden Wizard

Postby Wanderer » Wed Jun 01, 2011 9:15 am

Thanks Pam

Bulbs are:
Daffodils, Zephyranthes, Allium, Anenome, Crocus, Spring Star, Gladioli, Peacock Orchid, Hippeastrum, Pineapple Lily, Iris, Freesia, Jonquil and Snowflakes.

All are WHITE and all come from the GE list of Autumn, Spring and Summer flowering bulbs.
I want to eventually end up with them naturalised throughout the garden.

Naturalised bulbs never seem to do great here on the Central Coast - not cold enough I guess.
Cheers
Wanderer
Take my advice..... I don't use it anyway.
Wanderer
Curator

Postby Pam » Wed Jun 01, 2011 9:31 am

Do you have garden space for any of them now Wanderer?

Just for a start, your pineapple lilies are best popped into a pot and left to do their thing, as they can be a bit finicky and take a while to settle back into flowering if disturbed. If you do have some useable garden space now your hippeastrums and snowflakes could go in and happily grow and multiply until you're ready to relocate them, with no fear of them disappearing underground and getting lost.

There's a very old post here that might help in getting your hippy numbers up once you are at your new garden.

viewtopic.php?f=10&t=428&hilit=hippeastrum+experiment

At best, Your hippeastrums will only be able to be stored for a maximum of 12 weeks before they will go into decline.

More on the others later.
Pam
Garden Wizard

Return to Bulbs