'Burned' edges to Colocasia?

The forum for queries and discussion on bulbs and related plants such as corms, tubers and rhizomes.

Moderators: Forum_mod, Pam, Sam, Bulbinella, Lea

'Burned' edges to Colocasia?

Postby andrewcarter » Sun Jun 19, 2011 6:56 pm

Hello,

I wonder if anyone can tell me what might be causing the edges of my Colocasia 'Black Magic' to look burned. Is this common? They're meant to do fine in full sun and have been healthy and happy in this position for months now. They've had plenty of water and have only recently developed this discolouration.

Also, I understand that all Colocasia grows slower in the cooler months, but is it common for Colocasia 'Illustris' to struggle more than 'Black Magic' at this time of year? The Illustris doesn't seem to be doing much at all and I'm waiting to give some away that I divided up a while back but it would make a pretty meager gift in its current state!

Here's a picture of the problem I'm having with the 'Black Magic'. They're in medium sized pots half-buried in the raised bed if it makes a difference.

Thanks very much,
Andrew
andrewcarter
Propagator

Re: 'Burned' edges to Colocasia?

Postby Pam » Mon Jun 20, 2011 6:57 am

andrewcarter wrote:They're meant to do fine in full sun and have been healthy and happy in this position for months now. They've had plenty of water and have only recently developed this discolouration.

It's most probably just the cool weather. Once the weather starts to warm up again, just snip them off. It's not uncommon for the foliage of colocasias to die right off in the cooler months.

I can't answer the question regarding the illustris, sorry, but I'm sure someone can.
Pam
Garden Wizard

Re: 'Burned' edges to Colocasia?

Postby andrewcarter » Mon Jun 20, 2011 11:50 am

That's a relief, thanks Pam.
andrewcarter
Propagator

Return to Bulbs