lillums

The forum for queries and discussion on bulbs and related plants such as corms, tubers and rhizomes.

Moderators: Forum_mod, Pam, Sam, Bulbinella, Lea

lillums

Postby heather1 » Thu Sep 01, 2011 7:05 pm

trouble with my lillums.

i love the colours of the lilliums, but over the last 5 years i have noticed that they have been changing colour. where i once planted a beatifull purple lillum one year the next it came up orange. this bulb had no other bulbs near it. what can be done when they change colour? is there any way to change them back to the colour they were when they were first planted. as i now have a garden full of yellow lilliums not the range of colours that i brougt. any ideas as to how this happens. each bulb was brought for its colour. heather
heather1
Apprentice

Re: lillums

Postby greg.l » Wed Sep 07, 2011 2:13 pm

The actual lilium bulbs can't change flower colour, but they can set seed which revert to a less desirable colour. The seedlings are more virus free so grow stronger. Another possibility is that there were orange and yellow flowered bulbs mixed in with your original purchases, and these colours often come from longer lived cultivars. I quite like yellow and orange lilies, at least you haven't lost them completely.
greg.l
Gardening Sage

Return to Bulbs