moving/re-homing bulbs ????

The forum for queries and discussion on bulbs and related plants such as corms, tubers and rhizomes.

Moderators: Forum_mod, Pam, Sam, Bulbinella, Lea

moving/re-homing bulbs ????

Postby Mazzy » Tue Sep 06, 2011 8:32 pm

What do I do with bulbs at this time of year that I have to move and are not necessarily able too rehome straight away??? can I leave them too dry out or will they just die if I do that? Should I make an attempt if possible too put them into pots??? there is a mixture... Dutch Iris, freesia, sparaxis, grape hyacinth etc

We need some earthworks done around the yard and have been waiting for some time, unfortunately when my flowers look awesome, it looks like I will be ripping them out too salvage as much as i can, lucky i moved the roses over winter!!!
Mazzy
Lawn trimmer

Re: moving/re-homing bulbs ????

Postby Pam » Wed Sep 07, 2011 5:46 am

Hi Mazzy, just pop them into pots with some welld draining mix. You can buy bulb planting mix, or alternately, mix a little vermiculite through regular potting mix.
Pam
Garden Wizard

Postby Mazzy » Wed Sep 07, 2011 10:28 am

So the only way is to plant them out straight away.... could be tricky will need too source some pots becasue there are a few.... If I don't move them they will get bulldozed over so I will essentially loose them all anyways!!

Tah :)
Mazzy
Lawn trimmer

Postby midgin » Wed Sep 07, 2011 2:32 pm

If you have a spare patch of dirt, outside the proposed works.... could you plant them in that space...as a temporary measure??
midgin
Garden Wizard

Postby Pam » Wed Sep 07, 2011 5:19 pm

Mazzy wrote:So the only way is to plant them out straight away.... could be tricky will need too source some pots becasue there are a few.... If I don't move them they will get bulldozed over so I will essentially loose them all anyways!!

Tah :)

Do you have access to some polystyrene boxes? Or some plastic tubs? The flexible tubs you can buy would hold quite a few bulbs too - simply poke some drainage holes close to the bottom on the sides (not underneath, as they wouldn't be able to drain unless they were up off the ground.) You could probably get away with packing the bulbs in fairly tightly for a short while, but if you want to carry them over 'til next season, the foliage needs to grow to feed the bulbs after they have finished flowering.
Pam
Garden Wizard

Return to Bulbs