I dug up some Freesias by mistake!

The forum for queries and discussion on bulbs and related plants such as corms, tubers and rhizomes.

Moderators: Forum_mod, Pam, Sam, Bulbinella, Lea

I dug up some Freesias by mistake!

Postby sourbugs » Tue Sep 13, 2011 11:03 am

Hello there :) I've been revitalizing my mum's garden, putting in new plants and such. The other day I was weeding a bed that was just overgrown with grass and prickles. I pulled out everything thinking they were all weeds. Turns out some of them were Freesias that have been there since my folks moved into this house, almost forty years ago. Now they were kinda floppy and scraggly anyway before I pulled them. I replanted them, gave them some bulb food, which is meant to promote root growth. The leaves look a bit man handled, though the stem that has flower buds on it is still a strong bright green. They're still floppy and scraggly, but will they be ok? They're the Freesia alba variety I think, just the traditional creamy white with a bit of yellow. I've read that they're a hardy plant, so as long as they survive being ripped out, all is fine, though I would like to get some new bulbs to freshen up the stock. They've been growing in the same place for years with no attention at all. Any tips would be appreciated. I ordered some coloured bulbs online but still need to track down some regular ones. Might need to head off to the nursery.
sourbugs
Weeder

Re: I dug up some Freesias by mistake!

Postby abwal » Tue Sep 13, 2011 12:34 pm

Keep them moist - but not wet- and they should be fine.
Gardening is sharing.
abwal
Garden Wizard

Postby grevs1 » Tue Sep 13, 2011 1:52 pm

hello
welcome to this forum.....!!! :-)
there are many lovely people on here who always have heaps of tips and advice...its great and lots of fun !
:D
grevs1
Head Curator

Postby Pam » Tue Sep 13, 2011 4:16 pm

Yes, they'll be fine.
Pam
Garden Wizard

Postby TinaK » Tue Sep 13, 2011 5:51 pm

Hi sourbugs! I'm a fellow newbie with a similar question so I thought I'd jump in on your topic if you don't mind :D

I've ripped up some bulbs (mainly bluebells) from my overgrown garden and lawn and transplanted them with the hope that they will survive in a garden bed. Much the same as what you have done to your parents freesias! So here's hoping it all goes to plan! I've just shoved mine back into the earth and mulched around them.....

That's my poor first attempt at gardening.... any constructive criticism, comments or concerns will be most welcome!

Good luck with your parents freesias sourbugs. Let's hope we have a brilliant bloom of blubs next spring!

(I just scouted some snowdrops in my yard so looks like they'll be getting relocated tomorrow!)
TinaK
Groundsperson

Postby greg.l » Wed Sep 14, 2011 8:27 pm

Hopefully by digging around the freesias you will encourage some seeds to germinate, then you'll have even more freesias.
greg.l
Gardening Sage

Postby sourbugs » Wed Sep 14, 2011 8:59 pm

Wonderful. Thank you for the advice. The stems are still nice and green so yeh I think they're ok too.
sourbugs
Weeder

Postby sourbugs » Sun Sep 18, 2011 11:43 pm

Actually, the leaves on most of them now are yellow/brown. Going to the nursery on wednedsay to see if they have any. Going to two actually, so here's hoping, and swap them over. The original bulbs though, If I cut off the dead leaves, and plant in a pot and water and look after, they should send up new shoots and roots right?
sourbugs
Weeder

Postby TinaK » Sun Sep 18, 2011 11:51 pm

my recent research has led me to believe that you should just leave the dead foliage on the bulb and leave them where they are in the ground..... The bulb will use the dying foliage as food and they should come back happy & healthy next season!!! I may be wrong though as I'm a total novice & not relying on experience!
TinaK
Groundsperson

Postby Pam » Mon Sep 19, 2011 5:56 am

Once the foliage has died off though, Tina, it's perfectly acceptable to cut it off, as it's no longer serving any purpose other than letting you know where the freesias are so that you don't accidentally plant something else on top of them.
Pam
Garden Wizard

Postby TinaK » Mon Sep 19, 2011 11:00 am

thanks for your words of wisdom Pam! My bulbs haven't died off yet since I transplanted them.. but once they do start to die back I'll chop the leaves off.... it will make for a neater looking garden bed!
TinaK
Groundsperson

Postby Pam » Mon Sep 19, 2011 3:26 pm

Let them get yellow before you chop them off Tina - while they're still anything resembling green they're still feeding the bulbs.
Pam
Garden Wizard

Return to Bulbs