Asiatic Lilies

The forum for queries and discussion on bulbs and related plants such as corms, tubers and rhizomes.

Moderators: Forum_mod, Pam, Sam, Bulbinella, Lea

Asiatic Lilies

Postby NButtenshaw » Thu Nov 03, 2011 2:11 pm

Hoping someone can give me some advice. I have around 300 asiatic lilies in a couple of garden beds and last year the ones i have had in the ground the longest (3 years) I got 9 flower heads per stem.

This year they seem to be even bigger, and i have a dozen bulbs that have between 20-25 buds forming on the one stem. Is this going to be a problem for me? Will the stem be able to support that many flower heads? If not, how to i remove some of them?

Thanks!
Last edited by NButtenshaw on Tue Nov 08, 2011 6:12 pm, edited 1 time in total.
A weed is a plant that has mastered every survival skill except for learning how to grow in rows."
- Doug Larson
NButtenshaw
Head Gardener

Re: Asiatic Lilies

Postby NButtenshaw » Tue Nov 08, 2011 9:42 am

anyone got any ideas or tips please?
A weed is a plant that has mastered every survival skill except for learning how to grow in rows."
- Doug Larson
NButtenshaw
Head Gardener

Postby Pam » Tue Nov 08, 2011 9:55 am

I don't grow them, so can't really talk from experience, but I think if they were mine I'd tend to offer some sort of support to the stems rather than remove flowers. (Stakes don't have to be glaringly obvious to be effective.) If the bulbs are happy and healthy though, I can see no reason why the stems by themselves should not be sturdy enough to support the blooms.
Pam
Garden Wizard

Postby RayE » Tue Nov 08, 2011 11:00 am

Hi NB,if it was mine I would leave it be,don't stake and don't remove flowers.You must be doing something right to get that many flowers from an Asiatic lily.Does it have a name and a pic would be nice.bye Ray
RayE
Head Gardener

Postby karyn » Tue Nov 08, 2011 12:44 pm

A friend grows these and uses a 'fence' system where there are stakes at either end, and wire strung between them. She props the stems against the wire and ties them if needed. It doesn't look obvious and helps hold them up. I agree with Ray, a picture would be lovely!
karyn
Gardening Sage

Postby NButtenshaw » Tue Nov 08, 2011 5:18 pm

Thanks all for the advice!!! The stems do seem pretty sturdy at this point. Have just been out and taken a pic and as you can imagine the rest of the flower heads are around the other side but i think you get the impression from this photo! Will have to take another one when it flowers. Pretty sure its going to be pale orange... Thanks heaps for the advice!!!
081120111206.jpg
- Doug Larson
NButtenshaw
Head Gardener

Postby NButtenshaw » Wed Nov 16, 2011 6:39 pm

they have started to flower today... Haven't staked them as yet! Fingers crossed!
Attachments
161120111250.jpg
starting to flower
- Doug Larson
NButtenshaw
Head Gardener

Postby bubba louie » Wed Nov 16, 2011 7:43 pm

If you have cats please be careful. Liliies are deadly. If a cat chews on them or gets the polen on them, and then licks themselves, it causes kidney failure.
“Just living is not enough... One must have sunshine, freedom, and a little flower.”
Hans Christian Andersen
bubba louie
Garden Wizard

Postby NButtenshaw » Thu Nov 24, 2011 8:24 pm

anyone know why they are flowering in colour order this year? There are tonnes of different coloured lilies in the beds but pale orange opening first then red. Now yellow buds are starting to open along with pink but dark orange and white still miles behind... Is there a reason anyone knows of? My freesias did the exact same thing this year too...
Attachments
221120111258_1.jpg
221120111261_1.jpg
24112011409_1.jpg
- Doug Larson
NButtenshaw
Head Gardener

Postby RayE » Fri Nov 25, 2011 7:48 am

Hi NB,Asiatic lilies will flower at different times because of their breeding. A whole lot of Lilium species have been used to create asiatic lilies and because these species flower over a period of time so will your asiatic,s.
Normally these lilies have nearly finished flowering before the trumpets start.bye Ray
RayE
Head Gardener

Return to Bulbs