Attack of the sheep! Help required.

The forum for queries and discussion on bulbs and related plants such as corms, tubers and rhizomes.

Moderators: Forum_mod, Pam, Sam, Bulbinella, Lea

Attack of the sheep! Help required.

Postby TinaK » Mon Feb 06, 2012 7:11 pm

I love this forum. It's handy to know exactly where to come when I need help!

My sheep got into my front yard. Let's just say, I now look like I have a manicured garden...... The lawn is short, all the edges are neatly trimmed and you can see the mulch in all the garden beds. That is because they are EMPTY! They have been eaten :shock:

The sheep were kind enough to leave a few lonely bulbs behind. Ripped out of the ground and tossed onto the lawn... One tiny grevillea has also survived the onslaught.

I was wondering if someone could please tell me what I should do with these bulbs now? Do I replant them so they can hibernate over winter? Do I freeze them? Store them in a cold cupboard?

TinaK
Groundsperson

Re: Attack of the sheep! Help required.

Postby Pam » Tue Feb 07, 2012 6:46 am

Hi Tina. Ah, the joys of 'pets'. At least if it was dogs they'd have let you know that they'd enjoyed them. Assuming that the sheep didn't eat anything that will kill them, just pop the bulbs back in the ground, as they were'nt really ready just yet for their Winter nap. Whether they will regrow this season or not will probably depend on what they are, but nonetheless, given that they haven't really built up stores for their dormancy, I think they stand a better chance there. Probably mark their location just in case they don't re-emerge any time soon. Then in Winter, simply do what you'd have normally done with them.
Pam
Garden Wizard

Postby karyn » Tue Feb 07, 2012 5:54 pm

Oh Tina...Is it terribly mean of me to be laughing :-? :lol: :roll: I'm sorry! A good prune is good for the garden, anyway!
karyn
Gardening Sage

Postby chocolate » Tue Feb 07, 2012 6:44 pm

I am not laughing either, the culprits would look pretty good next to peas , carrots, pumpkin and gravy. :idea:
chocolate
Curator

Postby TinaK » Tue Feb 07, 2012 8:51 pm

Don't worry chocolate... most of those 'culprits' will end up next to some nice veges... Those that survive will produce more food for the plate ;) For that, they can share in a bulb once in a while. Naughty buggers.

I must admit, the garden does look so tidy at the moment! At least the sheep are locked out of the side that is being terrorised by our big dog :roll:

I am home tomorrow morning so I'll pop the bulbs (which are gladioli) back in the ground. If they survive, so be it!
TinaK
Groundsperson

Postby Lou » Thu Feb 09, 2012 1:51 am

I just read up on gladi's this morning. If the foliage is left on the bulb it helps the bulb to grow bigger, but as it is the foliage may have helped your sheep grow bigger instead. :D
God made rainy days so gardeners could get the housework done. ~Author Unknown
Lou
Gardener

Return to Bulbs