Tulip Tips

The forum for queries and discussion on bulbs and related plants such as corms, tubers and rhizomes.

Moderators: Forum_mod, Pam, Sam, Bulbinella, Lea

Tulip Tips

Postby devank » Mon Feb 27, 2012 9:14 am

Hi,
I’m hoping to get some expert advice.
I recently bought ‘Tulip Fever Collection’ from Garden Express. I’m planning to place them along the back fence. I'm an absolute beginner.

I’m a bit worried about needing to take out the bulbs after they finish flowering. I live in Homebush (Sydney Innerwest). Are there ways to make this easier?
Here are two ideas I thought I could do.
1. Place them on a tray and then plant them on the ground together. At the end I can simply pull out the tray. This may give them a chance to freely multiply.
2. Plant them in small pots (black plastic ones) then drop about half of it under the ground. This way I can keep the weeds away and also easily pick them up after flowering.
Any thoughts?

Regards,
devank
Web Service Provider
http://www.teamit.com.au
devank
Groundsperson

Re: Tulip Tips

Postby Wanderer » Wed Mar 28, 2012 2:37 pm

Hi devank
Not sure what others would advise but I just leave mine in the ground.
Then I get twice as many next year hopefully :wink:
Take my advice..... I don't use it anyway.
Wanderer
Curator

Postby devank » Sun Apr 01, 2012 6:07 pm

Thanks Wanderer. I'm worried about the lack of cold time (in Sydney West). That is why I thought I may have to dig them up.
I bought 5 different types X 20 tulips. They are sitting in my fridge now. So I'm leaning towards a five large pots options. Then it is easy to keep the same colours together. Seriously thinking of burying those pots under the ground.
Web Service Provider
devank
Groundsperson

Postby valleyshots » Fri Apr 06, 2012 11:51 pm

You could leave one pot alone after they flower and die back, while digging the other up. Use it to test if will get cold enough for the next seasons flower buds. :idea:
valleyshots
Pruner

Postby kitkat » Tue Apr 10, 2012 2:29 pm

Most suggestions mention planting in plastic baskets buried fully then lifted and soil shaken out before rechilling them next year. Baskets 2.00 or less at those ubiquitous dollar shops.
Smiles from SueB
[color=#40BF00]
Thanks for Sharing
Gardens..... food for Body and Soul.[/color]
kitkat
Head Curator

Postby hoddo » Wed Apr 11, 2012 7:49 am

We are in sydneys nw and have planted tulips a few times..never had much luck second year.. they come up but usually no or poor flower. Just enjoy the first flowering then buy new bulbs next year. Variety is very important I have heard there are some that will even grow and flower in Darwin. Our winters are not cold or long enuff and the fridge doesnt really do the same job.
heres an old post
http://www.gardenexpress.com.au/forum/viewtopic.php?f=10&t=3666

hoddo
Curator

Postby devank » Sat May 12, 2012 9:03 pm

Thanks for that link. So this is my plan.
1. May/June – Take the bulb seeds from the refrigerator and plant them in medium size pots.
2. During flowering - Enjoy
3. After flowering - Move the pots to a cool shaded area
4. After foliage die off - Lift and store in a cool, dry and shaded area. Use orange or onion bags to store them.
5. Feb: Clean the bulbs and store in refrigerator.

Now I need to go and buy few 'cool' pots. May be those wooden ones might be better but could be expensive!
Web Service Provider
devank
Groundsperson

Postby devank » Sat Sep 15, 2012 3:15 pm

I thought I will update the progress :)

tulips.jpg

I bought these tulips from Garden Express. They have done well... very happy. Thank you.
Interestingly all different colour tulips flower at different times! Mixed colour (orange & yellow) ones lasts a long time but red ones dropped their flowers with in a week!

I also bought lots of Lavender plants but they arrived half dead and none of them survived! I complained to them but no response. So far 50:50 success with Garden Express.
Web Service Provider
devank
Groundsperson

Postby devank » Sat Apr 05, 2014 11:56 am

devank wrote:Thanks for that link. So this is my plan.
1. May/June – Take the bulb seeds from the refrigerator and plant them in medium size pots.

I did this last year but didn't get any flowers from the seeds. Most of them died. Few grew but didn't produce any flowers..What a waste of refrigerator space :cry:

Anyway, this time I thought I'll give it a go with 'A Bulb Lasagne' (based on the newsletter received form the Garden Express yesterday).

This is my plan. Number at the end indicates number of seeds.
Top Layer
Crocus Crocus Blue and Yellow Blend 5
Freesia Freesia Giant Mixed 20
Muscari Muscari Armeniacum 50
Triltelia Tritelia Spring Star (Light Blue) 50

Middle
Tulips Tulip Passionale 5
Tulips Tulip Avignon 5
Tulips Tulip Dordogne 5
Tulips Tulip World Favourite 5
Hyacinths Hyacinth Delft Blue 6

Bottom
Daffodils Daffodil Dutch Master 5
Daffodils Daffodil Flower Drift 5
Alliums Allium Pink 10

It is costing $80.00 though!

Any advice is appreciated.
Web Service Provider
devank
Groundsperson

Postby dalelesley » Mon Jul 06, 2015 2:05 pm

They say ice water on the ground where you have them planted tricks them into flower mode. I have not tried this myself as the climate here in Tassie is cold enough with out the fridge. I have had some trouble in getting them to flower the second year though.
dalelesley
Head Gardener

Postby dalelesley » Thu Apr 07, 2016 3:17 pm

You can also add some good sulphate potash and some garden lime. The pot ash encourages flowers and some blood-bone will give good root growth. I also got mine from Garden express. I lifted mine this year because we had such a hot summer. I put mine in brown paper bags and left them in a linen press where it's cool and dark. Have just put them in the crisper because our Autumn seems to have alluded us this year. I have just ordered another 20 more from Garden Express. Anyway good luck with it sounds like you will have a lovely show of bulbs when they come into bloom.
dalelesley
Head Gardener

Return to Bulbs