Advice please - planting gladioli daffodils and jonqui

The forum for queries and discussion on bulbs and related plants such as corms, tubers and rhizomes.

Moderators: Forum_mod, Pam, Sam, Bulbinella, Lea

Advice please - planting gladioli daffodils and jonqui

Postby Ann61 » Mon Apr 23, 2012 2:18 pm

Hello everyone. I am new to the forum, and new to planting bulbs. I want to plant Gladioli, daffodils and jonquils. I live in Queensland, on the border of two climate zones - warm temperate and subtropical. Where I live the max highest air temp in summer is 44 degrees which occurs probably 10 times a year, with usual temp in summer about 32 degrees. The lowest ground temp ever in winter is -9.1 degrees, but only about 20 nights a year the ground temp is below -1 degree each year (air temp is about 5 degrees higher). We get large amounts of rain in summer (about 1400mm per year, with about 200mm of this in winter). I was wondering if anyone could give me advice on planting gladioli, daffodils and jonquils. Firstly, will they grow and flower (and flower again the next year?) Secondly, should I plant them in open sun, under the dappled shade of an (almost) deciduous tree or next to a hedge. The hedge would give them protection from sun for about 3 hrs a day and protection from some of the wind that brings the cold mists through. All positions are well drained with loose well composted soil. The alternative is to plant in pots on the large verandah, where they can be placed in full sun, sun for half a day, or shaded all day. I'd really appreciate any advice you can provide. Thanks, Ann.
Ann61
Apprentice

Return to Bulbs