A question concerning Haemanthus coccineus.

The forum for queries and discussion on bulbs and related plants such as corms, tubers and rhizomes.

Moderators: Forum_mod, Pam, Sam, Bulbinella, Lea

A question concerning Haemanthus coccineus.

Postby Lou » Mon May 21, 2012 4:38 pm

Can anyone tell me when to plant the seeds I have from my Haemanthus coccineus? When they came off they were firm and plump, now they have gone like watery sacs with a big seed inside. Do you take off the outer covering or plant the lot?
God made rainy days so gardeners could get the housework done. ~Author Unknown
Lou
Gardener

Re: A question concerning Haemanthus coccineus.

Postby GoldenWattle » Tue May 22, 2012 6:23 am

I don't know a thing about these plants, but here's what I found on the website http://www.plantzafrica.com/planthij/haemancoc.htm

plantzafrica wrote:Sow Haemanthus seeds in deep seed trays as soon as possible after harvesting in a very well-drained, sandy medium to which some fine compost is added. Press lightly into the soil, so that the top of the seed remains visible. Water well once and then again only after the first leaves appear. After that, water well once every two to three weeks. When the leaves begin to yellow, withhold watering altogether. Judicious watering starts again when the leaves reappear after the dormant period. Leave young plants in seed trays for at least two years before potting up individually into large, deep pots about 30cm in diameter. Select pots which will hold the mature plants, as they don't enjoy being disturbed again.

Good luck!

Cheers,
GoldenWattle (#)
GoldenWattle
Gardening Sage

Re: A question concerning Haemanthus coccineus.

Postby Lou » Wed May 23, 2012 2:37 am

Thanks so much for that, I will plant them all tomorrow. :D Fingers crossed I didn't leave it too long.
God made rainy days so gardeners could get the housework done. ~Author Unknown
Lou
Gardener

Return to Bulbs