Winter planting of clivias

The forum for queries and discussion on bulbs and related plants such as corms, tubers and rhizomes.

Moderators: Forum_mod, Pam, Sam, Bulbinella, Lea

Winter planting of clivias

Postby jess » Mon Jun 18, 2012 10:09 pm

Hi,

I am new to the forum based in Canberra and just trying to revitalize my long neglected garden while I am on some long term leave. so far I've really enjoyed reading the forum and hope to pick up lots of tips. The garden bed under the south side awning of our house has been a difficult spot to grow anything - v little direct sun and generally damp. Lavender is growing happily there and is still flowering due to the shady location. But I was planning to shift the lavender and have bought some clivia seedlings in order to try and create a colourful low level (up to 1.5m high) shrub and flower garden bed with azaleas, clivias, violets and possibly cyclamens. Do you think these would grow well in that location if I build up the garden bed to improve drainage? It was initially highly compacted, although has improved with compost over last 2 years.

I have been advised to avoid planting the clivias in the ground until spring due to frost. Is that necessar given it is largely protected from the frost by the awning?

Can you recommend any varieties of evergreen azaleas? I like the look of the Bertina, Kirin and Aline varieties.

Cheers
Jess
jess
Apprentice

Re: Winter planting of clivias

Postby Pam » Tue Jun 19, 2012 7:36 am

Hi Jess. My father in law grows clivias near Toowoomba and gets heavy frosts. He does get some minor damage, but doesn't have the protection for them that your awning would provide. You could, of course cover with frost blanket/frost cloth (available from bunnings and nurseries) if you wanted to be doubly sure they'd be safe. In reality, they're probably not going to establish much during the cooler months anyway, so it that regard you wouldn't gain much by planting now as opposed to Spring time anyway. I'd say all of the other plants you have in mind would be perfect for the spot, by the sound of it
Pam
Garden Wizard

Postby wilson » Tue Jun 19, 2012 6:35 pm

Hi Jess,

Your Clivias should be fine, they can be a bit slow to get going, but are pretty tough once established.
Another plant that might do well amongst what you have planned are Hellebores, there are some
lovely new ones that carry there flowers above the foliage. And Ajuga, for something low growing for the
front of the bed. Caladiams, Coleus, lots of shade loving plants.
Good luck with your revamp.
wilson
Lawn trimmer

Postby Pam » Wed Jun 20, 2012 5:41 am

wilson wrote:Another plant that might do well amongst what you have planned are Hellebores, there are some
lovely new ones that carry there flowers above the foliage.

I'll second that suggestion - hellebores are gorgeous, and the flowers last for ages.
Pam
Garden Wizard

Postby jess » Fri Jun 22, 2012 10:45 pm

Thank you for all the suggestions! Any particular type of hellebore? Sorry I don't know about hellebores at all?

I've still got to de-weed, transplant out and prepare the garden bed, so plenty of time to research interestly plants!

Cheers
Jess
jess
Apprentice

Postby JNarelle » Sat Jun 23, 2012 9:49 am

Jess here is a fabulous website about Hellebores :)

http://www.hellebores.org/index.html
JNarelle
Curator

Return to Bulbs