Could anyone help with Hippeastrum Rust

The forum for queries and discussion on bulbs and related plants such as corms, tubers and rhizomes.

Moderators: Forum_mod, Pam, Sam, Bulbinella, Lea

Could anyone help with Hippeastrum Rust

Postby stig » Sun Aug 05, 2012 8:37 am

Hi guys

Could I ask for some advice for our hippy plants .

I have the following three problems

1. The leaves developed a rust , and then die and seems to be spreading along the garden bed (pics attached) . What should I spray with ?? or should I remove all the leaves and then spray ??

2. White powdery substance around the neck of the some of the bulbs (also on some of the agapanthus) . What can I spray to get rid of this ??

3. Crinum Grubs what can I spray the hippy's with to kill this pest ??
Any help would be great , as I don't have much luck when going to bunnings for advice on pests/or treatments

Cheers

Stig
stig
Cultivator

Re: Could anyone help with Hippeastrum Rust

Postby abwal » Mon Aug 13, 2012 5:15 pm

Hippies do lose their leaves in winter. However, if you are concerned that it is a fungal infection, a spray with fungicide could be of benefit. ( The powder does seem as if it could be fungal .)

Any pesticide for chewing pests would help with the crinum grubs. There are recipes for homemade sprays here http://www.abc.net.au/gardening/stories/s2607562.htm

Crinum grubs will eat right into bulbs and sprays will not reach them there. I did a twice-a-day search of my hippies - and other bulbs - and manually removed them. They are - fortunately - easy to spot.
Gardening is sharing.
abwal
Garden Wizard

Re: Could anyone help with Hippeastrum Rust

Postby Temora140 » Wed Aug 22, 2012 4:33 pm

That's why you really should support your local nursery as they will know or will find out for you while Bunnings staff are there to sell plants, pots and amendements. My local nurseries have lots of reference books that I can look through to find out info on plants, diseases and pests.
Temora140
Gardener

Return to Bulbs