Calla Lillies

The forum for queries and discussion on bulbs and related plants such as corms, tubers and rhizomes.

Moderators: Forum_mod, Pam, Sam, Bulbinella, Lea

Calla Lillies

Postby bluey162 » Wed Feb 06, 2013 7:26 am

Can anyone please tell me why my calla lillies flower but have no stems (the flowers are forming in the base of the plant) thank you
bluey162
Apprentice

Re: Calla Lillies

Postby abwal » Wed Feb 06, 2013 11:34 am

I would suspect our climate is not really suitable for callas. I certainly have had no success with them. The ideal growing temperature for them is 18 - 25C. The roots should be shaded to keep them cool in the warmer areas.

I have seen them growing successfully in Brisbane, but not in Bundaberg.
Gardening is sharing.
abwal
Garden Wizard

Postby lilly60 » Sun Feb 10, 2013 12:10 pm

I'm afraid I can't answer the question about the flowering prob. with your Callas "technically", but just thought I'd let you know that I planted (first time I have grown them) 3 Calla bulbs around August/September last year. They are doing very well - although they still have to reach their full flowering potential as they are only very young, but have since produced a flower or two normally since planting. Judging by what you have said Abwal, I guess the problem of not flowering properly may well have something to do with humidity/heat. As we are on the dry side in Adelaide and mainly get dry heat over the warmer months, and in winter do not receive huge amounts of rain (sadly) I would agree it must be something to do with the climate up there. I have noticed mine struggle a little in the extreme heat here (as does most everything else), but I compensate by giving them a daily water. They have afternoon shade and are in well drained soil with thick layer of pea straw on the surface for root insulation. So far, so good. :)
lilly60
Groundsperson

Postby bluey162 » Thu Feb 14, 2013 10:07 am

Thank you very much for your replies, I think the problem has been the heat this year and lack of rain up until the end of Jan when we got very wet, last year I had a great display of flowers but we had a very wet season, This year I might lift the bulbs, dry them and put them away until nest sept or so then put them in pots and grow them in one of my propagating sheds and see what happens.
once again thank you.
Deam.
bluey162
Apprentice

Postby nelson castro » Fri Mar 15, 2013 3:00 pm

They grow best in a moist soil that includes some organic matter. If you grow calla lilies in containers, cease watering and move the plant to a dark area once the foliage has faded.
nelson castro
Gardener

Return to Bulbs