ALSTROEMERIA=PERUVIAN LILY=PRINCESS LILY

The forum for queries and discussion on bulbs and related plants such as corms, tubers and rhizomes.

Moderators: Forum_mod, Pam, Sam, Bulbinella, Lea

ALSTROEMERIA=PERUVIAN LILY=PRINCESS LILY

Postby niki » Sun Dec 01, 2013 9:20 am

Hi All,

I'm interested in hearing from people who have grown alstroemeria, about it's preferred position. The labels suggest that they love full sun in order to bloom, however need shade in the hot summer. Does anyone know what these plants look like in the hot summer, do they die back? I have a long planter box against a brick wall facing west. I want to put the lilies there. However it's pretty hot in the afternoon in that position. Anyone experienced gardeners??

Cheers
Niki
niki
Pruner

Re: ALSTROEMERIA=PERUVIAN LILY=PRINCESS LILY

Postby Pam » Mon Dec 02, 2013 5:22 am

I grew them in central NSW where the summer temperatures were regularly around 40 degrees, but the roots were always shaded, and it didn't have reflected heat.

They're generally fairly tough, buy I honestly think they would struggle in that situation. One day of drying out, combined with the heat from the brick wall and you could pretty well kiss them goodbye, I'd say.
Pam
Garden Wizard

Postby oz koala » Mon Dec 02, 2013 10:25 am

I tend to agree with Pam. I think they would struggle in a planter box.
Mine were all in the shade (and in the ground) up until a couple of years ago. They all had to be moved and I too read they like sun. Some were planted in the sun and some in a different shaded area. The ones in the shade are at least a metre tall and if you had a small garden would probably be considered invasive. They are already taking up a big area.
The ones in the sun aren't that tall, maybe 2 ft, but I didn't put many pieces there, so I don't consider them established yet. I can't remember how those ones looked through last summer but they definitely survived.
I don't bother with the short variety, they don't do well for me.
Wendy
http://cheekyscrubwren.blogspot.com.au/
oz koala
Propagator

Postby niki » Wed Dec 04, 2013 6:03 pm

ok, thank you for sharing your thoughts. I have planted a few already in my backyard, the short variety and they have done well. But as I've suggested, this position gets the morning shade and afternoon sun. Might be too hot for them then.

Cheers
Niki
niki
Pruner

Return to Bulbs