Garlic

The forum for queries and discussion on bulbs and related plants such as corms, tubers and rhizomes.

Moderators: Forum_mod, Pam, Sam, Bulbinella, Lea

Garlic

Postby RaynaDrinksTea » Sun May 08, 2016 11:43 am

Last year I planted garlic cloves and they all produced plants and I was very excited. However out of laziness or being busy I never harvested them, so they just died off after so many months.

This year, I realised after pulling them out, thinking they were one of my many varieties of chivy weed that I never can tell if they're onion weed or not - they have grown back!!

However of course each clove has produced its own plant - do I need to separate them? Should I do so now, is it too late? They've probably been growing up a few weeks or even longer (maybe much longer? I can't remember the recommended planting times), as they were some nice green stalks before I noticed them, which was a few weeks ago anyway.

I'm very happy that I haven't completely wasted my lovely garlic, bought from the digger's club, so I just don't want to stuff up this time. Any advice appreciated. :?
RaynaDrinksTea
Lawn trimmer

Re: Garlic

Postby dalelesley » Sun May 08, 2016 4:31 pm

Now is the time to plant some varieties of garlic. I have just planted some of mine. However I can not say if it is to late for yours. I have only ever planted mine when they are dormant or just starting to shoot . As I am in Tasmania we are very restricted in what Garlic we can plant due to quarantine. :cry:
dalelesley
Head Gardener

Postby greg.l » Mon May 09, 2016 6:03 am

The old saying is "plant garlic on the shortest day,harvest on the longest day." The shortest day is 21/6 so you have plenty of time.
greg.l
Gardening Sage

Postby RaynaDrinksTea » Mon May 09, 2016 6:37 pm

Thank you! Seeing as they're already in the ground and sprouting, I'll just wait until the next sunny weekend to separate them- which hopefully won't make them unhappy. The ones I accidentally pulled out and put back in I'm pretty sure are still there and happy - if they're not when I next look I guess I'll try to be much more careful spacing out the next lot! :oops:
RaynaDrinksTea
Lawn trimmer

Return to Bulbs