Hanging Geraniums For Winter?

A forum dedicated to perennials, the ornamental plants that last from year to year adding colour, shape and fragrance to the garden.

Moderators: Forum_mod, Pam, Luzy, Bulbinella

Hanging Geraniums For Winter?

Postby BillEvans » Mon Oct 03, 2005 7:37 am

Hello everyone,

We have about 5 hanging gernaniums outside (they were pretty expensive). If I leave them outside will they come back in the spring? Can I bring these in for the winter? If I should bring them in any tips as far as light and watering frequency?

I'm a newb, but I don't want these plants to die! Thanks in advance for any advice.
BillEvans

Postby Ann » Mon Oct 03, 2005 5:55 pm

Depends where you live, Bill. :D Mostly geraniums just stay outside all year with less watering. :D But did they die back? This is the time to start6 cossetting all your spring baskets with food, extra water and more sun. Mine are just cuttings from friends and are beginning ti take off and flower. :D :D
I'm a bit like Bruce's spider; try, try, try again. Sonas, Ann
Ann
Garden Wizard

Postby Pam » Mon Oct 03, 2005 6:31 pm

Hi Bill. I'm guessing you're perhaps in the US? I would suggest that if you're in anything less than about zone 8, leaving your plants out over Winter would probably bring about their demise, as I don't think they'd take well to freezing for a long period of time.
Pam
Garden Wizard

Postby Ann » Tue Oct 04, 2005 7:01 pm

Never thought about that, Pam, but it would make a difference. I suppose even in the snow fields here they would need to be under cover. :D
I'm a bit like Bruce's spider; try, try, try again. Sonas, Ann
Ann
Garden Wizard

Postby Pokie » Fri Sep 08, 2006 8:59 pm

Another geranium thread for those interested in the current one...
Pokie
Garden Wizard

Postby The Estate » Sun Sep 10, 2006 9:55 am

mine stay in their pots year in year out, a heavy prune for winter and their off again now, just min. water in winter. another plant -s needs a feed.
The Estate
Garden Wizard

Postby Pokie » Sat Sep 16, 2006 9:00 pm

All the nurseries are starting to get them in now, inclduing the little angel face ones. Soooooo tempting!!! :D
Pokie
Garden Wizard

Return to Perennials