Heliconia - is Sydney warm enough?

A forum dedicated to perennials, the ornamental plants that last from year to year adding colour, shape and fragrance to the garden.

Moderators: Forum_mod, Pam, Luzy, Bulbinella

Heliconia - is Sydney warm enough?

Postby Delilah » Fri Jul 10, 2009 6:59 pm

Hi

I have seen Heliconias for sale in Sydney nurseries, but some people say that it's too cold for them here. What do you think?

Thanks
Delilah
Head Gardener

Re: Heliconia - is Sydney warm enough?

Postby Pam » Sat Jul 11, 2009 6:14 am

Some varieties are more cold-tolerant than others. You'd need to do some research on what varieties were most suited to your area. Nurseries are not necessarily a good indication of this, as I've seen plants in nurseries that were totally unsuited to the area.
Pam
Garden Wizard

Postby Tropicgardener » Sun Jul 19, 2009 4:43 pm

Hi Delilah,

There are a few Heliconias that can be grown in Sydney and some others worth a try but it depends on your location. Most success stories are in the warmer coastal suburbs protected from frost and cold winds.

A certain grower for Sydney is Heliconia subulata which in its natural range occurs well down into Argentina. It may be a little hard to get hold of though. Heliconia angusta is also quite cold tolerant and has been known to grow in Sydney. The form 'Red Christmas' is the best one to grow and flowers more than the yellow and orange forms. The old favourite hanging Heliconia rostrata is worth a try and has been known to flower in warm spots in Sydney. tough old Heliconia spissa and Heliconia lingulata would be possible suspects too.

I first started growing Heliconias in South East Queensland about 25 years ago and back then I was told that they would never grow in subtropical Brisbane. I ended up with over 90 species and varieties that actually did grow there and a know a small amount of them will also grow in temperate Sydney.
Tropicgardener
Senior Curator

Location: Airlie Beach....Whitsunday Region, Tropical Queensland

Postby Bill O » Tue Dec 20, 2011 8:20 am

Hiya,

Sorry to ressurect an old thread, but I just got a bare rooted culm (or root?) of a Heliconia from GardenExpress, and just wondering it needs to be buried at any particular depth?

From where the leader has been cut through, it looks as though the culm goes just under the soil, but I'd like to be sure.
Bill O
Groundsperson

Postby abwal » Tue Dec 20, 2011 3:08 pm

I plant mine just under the surface.
Gardening is sharing.
abwal
Garden Wizard

Postby Bill O » Wed Dec 21, 2011 7:37 am

Excellent! Thank you :D
Bill O