Lamb’ Ears (Stachys byzantina)

A forum dedicated to perennials, the ornamental plants that last from year to year adding colour, shape and fragrance to the garden.

Moderators: Forum_mod, Pam, Luzy, Bulbinella

Lamb’ Ears (Stachys byzantina)

Postby Durgan » Sat Jun 12, 2010 9:56 am

http://www.durgan.org/URL/?KVQHX 11 June 2010 Lamb’ Ears (Stachys byzantina)

This velvety leafed plant is grown in my garden, since the bees are attracted to the small flowers. The plant is just beginning to flower.This plant is not invasive in my zone 5. Never water this plant. It thrives in relatively dry soil.
Durgan, Brantford, Ontario, Canada, Zone 5B
http://durgan.org/2011/ Garden Journal
Durgan
Head Curator

Re: Lamb’ Ears (Stachys byzantina)

Postby GoldenWattle » Wed Jul 21, 2010 7:36 pm

Yours certainly are thriving Durgan. :) Mine perk up in winter, but definitely require watering in Melbourne summers. I inherited some from the previous owners of the house and while I'm not a huge fan, I haven't removed it - yet... In the two years I've lived at the property, I've never seen any colour on it. I've dug up and given away stray plants that pop up away from the main clump. Even when I don't like a particular plant in my garden, I find joy in giving it to someone else who does... :mrgreen:

Cheers,
GoldenWattle (#)
GoldenWattle
Gardening Sage

Postby The Estate » Thu Jul 22, 2010 8:09 am

I am a bit the same here, cant stand tossing out a living plant :oops: Onl;y pulled the last lot out last year, might get a few more come Spring, nice to touch :roll:
The Estate
Garden Wizard

Postby Cosmic » Sat Oct 23, 2010 12:45 pm

Mine seed all over the garden and grow from root division so its not unusual to find them popping up every year in a different place. They add a bit of silver to the landscape and their blue flowers are lovely. When they get straggly I just pull them up and they come again the following season.
Cosmic
Head Curator

Return to Perennials