Please help us Peony Problems!

A forum dedicated to perennials, the ornamental plants that last from year to year adding colour, shape and fragrance to the garden.

Moderators: Forum_mod, Pam, Luzy, Bulbinella

Please help us Peony Problems!

Postby angiepea » Mon Jan 24, 2011 11:28 am

Hi all, I'm a newbie to this forum so apologies if post in wrong place! Peonies are very special to us as they are the flower we use to remember our daughter. We are building a new home and have bought some peony plants ( peony bush and some peony trees) and potted in plants to bring on before we move in later this year. Bought from a good nursery and hubbie followed all instructions etc! He is worried they seem to be slow growing and also leaves on some of them looking poorly. They receive afternoon sun, we live in Outer north melbourne so have had lots of rain this "summer" but also some hot days too. We've watered them but not too much as heard over watering can be a common mistake. Photos attached - any ideas would be gratefully welcomed! :?
Attachments
peony3.JPG
peony2.JPG
Peony1.JPG
angiepea
Apprentice

Re: Please help us Peony Problems!

Postby RayE » Mon Jan 24, 2011 11:57 am

HI Angiepea,your peonies don't look any different to mine and I would not be worried by there appearance.Peonies are slow growers and very forgiving plants so I reckon that when you get them in the ground they will do a lot better.bye Ray
RayE
Head Gardener

Postby bulborum » Mon Jan 24, 2011 7:18 pm

just as Ray says

don't worry , plant them in the garden with some bone meal
it will take a couple of years before they establish
they like rich soil , but hate replanting
just leave them till you get less flowers
I give mine every year a bucket horse-manure (the small ones just half)

Roland
bulborum
Curator

Postby angiepea » Thu Jan 27, 2011 9:51 am

Thanks for the replies, will bear this in mind, maybe worrying too much! Any other suggestions for care of them esp on our replanting them at new house appreciated. Thanks,Angie :D
angiepea
Apprentice

Postby bulborum » Thu Jan 27, 2011 3:44 pm

It helps if we have some names
are they botanical paeony's or hybrids

Roland
bulborum
Curator

Postby Carolyn1978 » Thu Jan 27, 2011 4:15 pm

Hi Angiepea,

I had a similar problem and so read up on peonies a while back. Apart from their love of lime I found out that they resent being moved and if moved may take two or three years before they are fully settled in to start flowering again. Unfortunately most people aren't patient enough and they move them after a year or two - restarting the clock as it were.

I hope your's settle in as quick as can be and start flowering for you.

:-) Carolyn
Garden tragic.
Carolyn1978
Head Gardener

Postby RayE » Thu Jan 27, 2011 5:32 pm

Carolyn1978 wrote:Hi Angiepea,

I had a similar problem and so read up on peonies a while back. Apart from their love of lime I found out that they resent being moved and if moved may take two or three years before they are fully settled in to start flowering again. Unfortunately most people aren't patient enough and they move them after a year or two - restarting the clock as it were.

:-) Carolyn

Hi Carolyn.as far as the herbaceous ones are concerned I think this is a myth.In the past I have bought these peonies from nurseryies and most of them have flower the same year.I also think some nurseries propogate this idea so they can get away with selling stock that is NFS or worse.bye Ray
RayE
Head Gardener

Postby bulborum » Thu Jan 27, 2011 5:57 pm

The main problem with peonies is that they are sold to young
or the roots are dried in to much
If you plant a 4-5 year old plant it flowers the same year
most garden-centre are selling 2 year old plants
just potted a few months before

Roland
bulborum
Curator

Postby Shocker » Sat Mar 12, 2011 9:51 pm

Another issue for you may well be that, in order for herbaceous peonies (ie the non-tree variety that die down in winter) to flower, they need to be exposed to a cold winter. If you are in the suburbs of Melbourne the winter may not be cold enough, in which case you will need to put some ice on them. Tree peonies don't require the same amount of cold over winter in order to flower. Also, afternoon sun in summer may be too much for them. Try a location with a bit of shade in the afternoon.
Shocker
Apprentice

Return to Perennials