Summer flowering perennials

A forum dedicated to perennials, the ornamental plants that last from year to year adding colour, shape and fragrance to the garden.

Moderators: Forum_mod, Pam, Luzy, Bulbinella

Summer flowering perennials

Postby donjen » Mon Mar 07, 2011 1:05 pm

I've only been living in the NSW Southern Highlands for 15 months and have inherited two moderate-sized garden beds of beautiful hellebors. However, since the gardener pruned them back in mid-December, the beds have been bare, except for two white standard roses in each bed, & a mollus azalea in the centre of each. I'm after suggestions as to what perennial flowers I can plant that will take over in summer where the hellebors leave off. These garden beds face east and are in full sun until about 12 - 12.30 each day and then in full shade as the afternoon progresses.

I'm wondering about Aquilegia but am not sure how tall they grow ... I'm after something roughly the same height as the hellebors which since last month (February) have been shooting enthusiastically with their new growth. Any suggestions will be greatly appreciated, but most especially in blue/white/mauve.

Jenny
donjen
Apprentice

Re: Summer flowering perennials

Postby kitkat » Mon Mar 07, 2011 2:54 pm

At the risk of being shot down by those who do not like them.I would suggest miniature agapanthus.They flower in summer in the colours you want and will provide a nice greenaccompaniment for the hellebores the rest of year,or you can trim them down to ground level for the hellebore to have the space later.There are several varieties in the GE catalogue.
Smiles from SueB
[color=#40BF00]
Thanks for Sharing
Gardens..... food for Body and Soul.[/color]
kitkat
Head Curator

Re: Summer flowering perennials

Postby donjen » Mon Mar 07, 2011 5:31 pm

Thanks for the suggestion ... I'll start my list with those. I know exactly how they grow as we have a couple of gardens where they're used as a border. They do look pretty when they're flowering but the flower heads on ours tend to be a bit sparse. I think I'm after something with more flowers, less greenery. Thanks again for the suggestion.
Jenny
donjen
Apprentice

Return to Perennials