Colour for shady spot

A forum dedicated to perennials, the ornamental plants that last from year to year adding colour, shape and fragrance to the garden.

Moderators: Forum_mod, Pam, Luzy, Bulbinella

Colour for shady spot

Postby PinkFlowers » Sat Jun 18, 2011 10:27 pm

I'm looking to put a little instant colour into my vegie patch, either some flowers or some colored foliage, but about half of he vegie patch is shady and wet at the moment (damn trees grew up too tall) and I'm not sure how it'll go. I did have some marigolds in there, but most of them didn't really take off too well being in shade (also were under the passionfruit vine). There are small semi-circle built up garden beds perfect for some colour tucked in, good soil just gets plenty of rain and minimal sun in spots.
What would you suggest to go in the spots?
PinkFlowers
Propagator

Re: Colour for shady spot

Postby PinkFlowers » Sun Jun 19, 2011 9:14 pm

Anyone??
PinkFlowers
Propagator

Postby GoldenWattle » Mon Jun 20, 2011 6:25 am

I couldn't tell you about shade-loving flowering plants for a vegie patch. If you were after something bigger, I'd say hydrangeas. Some correas also do alright in shade and I just bought a boronia megastigma for a shady spot yesterday. Hopefully someone else will be able to help you...

Cheers,
GoldenWattle (#)
GoldenWattle
Gardening Sage

Postby andrewcarter » Mon Jun 20, 2011 2:06 pm

Have you considered bromeliads? They might be a nice easy option and come in a whole range of colours.

Cheers,
Andrew
andrewcarter
Propagator

Postby grevs1 » Mon Jun 20, 2011 4:31 pm

hi
how about some impatients....they love shade and moist !!! and come in phantastic colours..you can pick them up anywhere in little pots , tubes or as seed..the extra big flowering ones are the new guinea ones i think they call them..they seed themselves out as well...... a friend of mine has wonderful ones under a big tree.... sure gives you heaps of colour as they come in all rainbow-colours ....! :wink:
grevs1
Head Curator

Postby GoldenWattle » Mon Jun 20, 2011 5:58 pm

grevs1 wrote:how about some impatients....they love shade and moist !!!

That's a great tip Grevs. I've grown impatiens before, but wasn't aware they preferred shade. I'll definitely be planting some in my shady areas this spring...

Cheers,
GoldenWattle (#)
GoldenWattle
Gardening Sage

Postby PinkFlowers » Thu Jun 23, 2011 10:47 am

Thanks! I'm popping down to the nursery later today so I'll ask them to point me in the right direction for them. Is now an ok time to plant them??
What to Nastursums (that's so not how it's spelt :oops: ) cope with the shade? I've got some seeds planted in pots and just thinking perhaps I could put some in the shady spots as well.
PinkFlowers
Propagator

Postby PinkFlowers » Thu Jun 23, 2011 3:25 pm

Well the lady at the nursery tells me it's the wrong time of year for impatiens, so I got a few cyclamens instead, she said they'll suit the spot just fine. The bright pink should definitely liven up the area!
PinkFlowers
Propagator

Postby Joanna » Thu Jun 23, 2011 6:23 pm

PF the Impatiens would certainly give you colour in the warmer months but just be aware that they seed madly and you may have them coming up all over the place. The seed pods burst and scatter lots of seed. I have grown the non-trailing nasturtiums as edging on the vege beds and while they also seed freely they dont take over the area so much. The flowers and leaves are also handy in salads etc.
"Let there be Peace on Earth
The Peace that was meant to be;
Let there be Peace on Earth
And let it begin with me."
Joanna
Curator

Return to Perennials