Suggestions for plants for novice gardener

A forum dedicated to perennials, the ornamental plants that last from year to year adding colour, shape and fragrance to the garden.

Moderators: Forum_mod, Pam, Luzy, Bulbinella

Suggestions for plants for novice gardener

Postby spudbrooks » Wed Aug 24, 2011 9:41 am

Hi there

I'm quite new to gardening and I don't have a lot of idea of different plants, so I was hoping some people could give some suggestions for one of the garden beds in my front yard.

The bed is West Facing and gets lots of overhead sun. The soil is well drained with a fairly neutral pH. I am located in the sourthern foothills of Adelaide. There was a large wattle tree in the garden bed, which has now been removed. I don't want anything that is particularly high maintenance and water isn't an issue, as I will probably set up a dripper-type system.

As you can see from the photo below, I have planted Leucadendrons (Safari Sunset & Inca Gold) to create a bit of low screen to the neighbour's yard. But I will have a space about 1m wide by 5 metres long in front of that and want perhaps a low shrub, creeper or something to go in front. The colour scheme is red and yellow (I have a hedge of red and yellow kangaroo paws across the front of the house) but any suggestions would be fine by me - as I don't have much idea at all at the moment.

Hope someone will have some ideas - the forum has been very useful so far!

Many Thanks!
Attachments
photo3.JPG
spudbrooks
Weeder

Re: Suggestions for plants for novice gardener

Postby Pam » Wed Aug 24, 2011 10:41 am

Is that a conifer behind the fence? If so make sure any plants you put in the garden can survive on not a lot of water, as it is going to rob as much water as you care to put on the bed.

That vine on the fence is going to require some maintenance to stop it wanting to smother anything you plant nearby, so make sure you leave room to get in there, whatever you end up planting.

What sort of height are you wanting plants to get to?
Pam
Garden Wizard

Postby spudbrooks » Wed Aug 24, 2011 3:04 pm

It is a conifer next door so I'm expecting loss of moisture, but that's ok - plenty of rainwater tanks to keep up the moisture.

The climber on the fence isnt too bad - it spreads along the fence rather than into the garden and is quite succulent and easily cut back.

In terms of the plants in the front, i think I'm looking for something about .5 - 1.0m in height, as it says the leucs will reach 1.5-2 m. I don't want to not be able to see the beautiful tips of the leucs by anything being too big in front.
spudbrooks
Weeder

Postby daffy » Tue Nov 15, 2011 6:56 am

Golden diosma
Dwarf nandina
Never believe anyone who says your proposed garden is too big!!!

Remember, treat others how you would like to be treated.
daffy
Gardening Sage

Postby karyn » Tue Nov 15, 2011 8:51 am

Those leucs look quite close together. Be sure to check the plant width on the label and plant accordingly, eg if each plant gets 1m wide, you need a space of about 1m between them unless you want a very dense screen. Correa pink mist/pink bells would grow into a low hedge infront of them quite nicely, with a little pruning occasionally.
karyn
Gardening Sage

Return to Perennials