Bottom of petunias dying off?

A forum dedicated to perennials, the ornamental plants that last from year to year adding colour, shape and fragrance to the garden.

Moderators: Forum_mod, Pam, Luzy, Bulbinella

Bottom of petunias dying off?

Postby RebelWolfChris » Wed Sep 21, 2011 9:40 am

I have a dozen or so pots of petunias (I feed to my Beardys/birds ;)) and a couple have just started to brown around the bottom, leaves wilting. I fertilize the lot regularly, so they should have plenty of food - I use seasol and a slow release fertilizer too. Anyone have ideas?
I love to live surrounded by life.
RebelWolfChris
Propagator

Re: Bottom of petunias dying off?

Postby Joanna » Thu Sep 22, 2011 9:46 am

Perhaps they are nearing the end of their time? Are they in full sun? I gather you are growing them just for the leaves otherwise you wouldn't be giving them so much fertiliser and water? I have had them in garden beds die off in wet weather. Sorry cant suggest anything of much help.
"Let there be Peace on Earth
The Peace that was meant to be;
Let there be Peace on Earth
And let it begin with me."
Joanna
Curator

Postby Pam » Fri Sep 23, 2011 5:32 am

When I had petunias I used to cut them back once they started to look daggy and they'd come on again. As you're growing them for food Chris, perhaps it wouldn't hurt to plant another punnet out .
Pam
Garden Wizard

Postby RebelWolfChris » Tue Sep 27, 2011 9:33 am

Hmm, some of them are my newer ones, which typically last a lot longer. I've got one in its third year too after several 'haircuts' :)

I will do a bit of a prune I think and see what happens. They get sun from between 10 and 12 until 2-3. It's the flowers I aim for :)

Thanks guys :)
I love to live surrounded by life.
RebelWolfChris
Propagator

Return to Perennials