Paeonia lactiflora - help pls!

A forum dedicated to perennials, the ornamental plants that last from year to year adding colour, shape and fragrance to the garden.

Moderators: Forum_mod, Pam, Luzy, Bulbinella

Paeonia lactiflora - help pls!

Postby jpanos » Mon Nov 07, 2011 8:39 pm

Hello!

I planted two peony plants (bare roots from garden express) in two 40cm pots in August of this year. The plants have grown about 15cm, but there is slight leaf curl and no buds or blooms.

I have added lime to the rich soil (when first potted) and cow manure only last week.

The plants receive at least 3 hrs of sunlight and are watered once or twice a week.

What am I doing wrong? should i have avoided planting n pots? (i live in an apartment block and was so desperate for peonies that i planted in large well pots)

Pls tell me what i should do to ensure blooms.

Looking forward to your advice!

Jacqueline
jpanos
Apprentice

Re: Paeonia lactiflora - help pls!

Postby Pam » Tue Nov 08, 2011 6:02 am

Hi Jacqueline. They can take some time to settle back into flowering when disturbed, so there's possibly nothing you're doing wrong, just a bit of patience needed.
Pam
Garden Wizard

Postby greg.l » Wed Nov 09, 2011 9:52 am

Unfortunately Sydney is generally regarded as too warm for peonies, especially in an apartment in a pot. Perhaps is you put the pot in the fridge in winter when the plant is dormant. If you live in a western suburb where there is some frost it may be possible to get them to flower.
greg.l
Gardening Sage

Postby Handed » Mon Sep 02, 2013 7:44 pm

Even if it's cold enough for flowers, you probably wont get flowers in the first season, some of mine took years before they started to flower, growing in the ground in a very frosty climate. Not sure what you mean about the leaf curl, maybe a photo? I've never had problems with the leaves on any of mine, only the blooms. Sarah Bernhardt was the only one I had that flowered in its very first year, and Early Delight has never flowered yet, after eight years!
Handed
Cultivator

Return to Perennials