eremurus

A forum dedicated to perennials, the ornamental plants that last from year to year adding colour, shape and fragrance to the garden.

Moderators: Forum_mod, Pam, Luzy, Bulbinella

eremurus

Postby oz koala » Mon Apr 08, 2013 9:13 pm

Has anyone attempted to grow eremurus? I've been eyeing them off for a while online and when I saw them for sale at the Plant Expo (Tesselaar) over the weekend I decided to grab one.
It came with instructions for planting and was a decent size. Fingers crossed it will grow for me. :)
Wendy
http://cheekyscrubwren.blogspot.com.au/
oz koala
Propagator

Re: eremurus

Postby greg.l » Tue Apr 09, 2013 7:25 am

I have grown Eremerus - not the easiest plant but very attractive. I grew mine from seed and got one to flowering size, only flowered a couple of years then disappeared. You need good drainage, if you can keep them happy they should be long lived. The "octopus" roots are very distinctive.
greg.l
Gardening Sage

Postby oz koala » Tue Apr 09, 2013 8:11 am

I would have liked to get several plants but at $20 each I thought it best to try just one for starters. Glad you got to see a flower.
Wendy
http://cheekyscrubwren.blogspot.com.au/
oz koala
Propagator

Postby greg.l » Tue Apr 09, 2013 10:41 am

They don't mind dry summers but need to be watered in spring. They are never cheap but give a good display.
greg.l
Gardening Sage

Postby nelson castro » Tue Apr 16, 2013 4:34 pm

They don't mind dry summers but need to be watered in spring. They are never cheap but give a good display.

Definitely, all it need is to watered and do not mind dry summers. To help achieve this lay the crown and fleshy roots over a 1in- to 2in-deep layer of horticultural grit or sharp sand.
nelson castro
Gardener

Postby Handed » Mon Sep 02, 2013 7:28 pm

Yes, but only one! I originally bought a pack of four different varieties, and lost three out of the four. I tried another time with a pack of three or four and lost all of them. My soil is a clay loam from trap rock, and not too free draining, but I live in a lower rainfall area (under 800 ml) at altitude with good cold dryish winters (to minus 15), yet reasonably warm summers (up to 35 degrees max) when we get most of our rainfall (zone 8a).

The successful one was the variety 'Moneymaker', it is now eight years old and flowers every year. It has slowly multiplied so that now I get more than one flower stalk, last year I think there were three, however I wouldn't DARE to try and divide it. It was on a slightly raised area, and back when I first planted it was in full sun and had very little or no mulch, so the soil got quite hot and dry. Now the garden has grown up around it, it is to the south of a lilac, but the sun still hits it in Summer when the sun angle is high, since it's not underneath the lilac. It seems happy still. I think they might be difficult to establish, but quite tough once they are. I may buy more and try again one day.
Handed
Cultivator

Return to Perennials