Hoya loosing leaves

A forum dedicated to perennials, the ornamental plants that last from year to year adding colour, shape and fragrance to the garden.

Moderators: Forum_mod, Pam, Luzy, Bulbinella

Hoya loosing leaves

Postby evee » Wed Aug 13, 2014 11:39 am

Hi, I have an old hoya plant (22 years old). It is quite big, grows inside in a position with limited light. It's been in the same position for the last 10 years and it has been quite happy there, although it never flowers. It densely covers the area of 1.5 by 2 mtrs.
I usually replant it every 3-4 years and it is probably due for another one, but I usually delay it as it suffer some distress after that.
For the last year or so, the plant started to loose some leaves. They go yellowish and then fall off. It happens here and there, but seems more often now. I have 3 other hoyas, that grew from cot offs from the older one. They are between 5-10 years old, but none of them has a similar problem.
What could be the reason? Nothing has really changed in the position or the way I look after the plant. I would not want to loose it :x . It's such a beautiful plant.
Any ideas?
evee
Apprentice

Re: Hoya loosing leaves

Postby Pam » Sat Aug 16, 2014 6:03 am

It hasn't become waterlogged or dry? They're the most likely suspects.
Pam
Garden Wizard

Re: Hoya loosing leaves

Postby dalelesley » Wed Jul 01, 2015 3:26 pm

Hoya do not like wet feet, and do like being a tad root bound mine was getting filtered shade all day till late afternoon when it got the cooler twilight sun. Sadly I had to leave mine behind when we moved to Tasmania. I used to give mine a little liquid fertilizer every three or four months.
dalelesley
Head Gardener

Return to Perennials