Carnations.

A forum dedicated to perennials, the ornamental plants that last from year to year adding colour, shape and fragrance to the garden.

Moderators: Forum_mod, Pam, Luzy, Bulbinella

Carnations.

Postby Shotgun Paul. » Sat Mar 26, 2005 7:47 am

Morning all,

Before I forget Happy Easter to everybody.

Now for the question at hand:
Are there any long stemmed carnations and what type are they are
they and are they difficult to grow.
If there is such a flower where can I get them from.

My daughter has a facy for them and asked me this question this
morning,unfortunatly I could not answer the question but, I would
find out for her.
Any help would be great.

Regards,
Paul.
Shotgun Paul.
Head Curator

Postby Ann » Sat Mar 26, 2005 5:10 pm

Chabaud Carnations are highly perfumed spray carnations. You can grow them from seed easily. :D Seed is available from supermarkets etc or you can go to nurseries for more expensive fancy ones. Online places like Tesselaar's should have some or any perennial nursery, Norgates is one of the big online ones. :D I even have hanging carnations in baskets and I got the seed from Kings Seeds in Penrith, Picotee being their fancy range. All mine have the strong clove perfume which I want in a Carnation. They have a website for the parent NZ company. Love them too.
I'm a bit like Bruce's spider; try, try, try again. Sonas, Ann
Ann
Garden Wizard

Postby Shotgun Paul. » Wed Apr 06, 2005 12:04 pm

Morning Ann,

Thanks for the info.
I have gone mad so my daughter says I have bought the chabaud and some mixed type for colour.
There is about 150 seeds in each packet,but I dont think I will be planting all of them at once,I might do it in stages maybe one or two weeks apart.

I spent most of yesterday washing my pots with soapy water and then rinsed them in clean water afterwards.
They are going to be planted this afternoon or tommorrow morning with a bit of luck and time on my side.

Regards,
Paul.
Shotgun Paul.
Head Curator

Postby Ann » Wed Apr 06, 2005 6:07 pm

Hi, Paul.Glad the info was of help. I'm always cleaning my pots etc. Always seem to have a bucket of bleach on the go. :D I recycle the seed trays till they fall apart!! :D I started painting them last week. Got spray paint then realised the paint left over from the windows was much the same. It may be good gloss enamel, but it was left overs. 8) I have a can of lighter blue so as I repot, I wash, bleach and dry and now will paint. Had to get more slater killer tho, but can see dead bodies on top of some of the pots. :D They had got into a hanging basket. :cry: Must say the spray paint was a lot cleaner to use!! :D
I'm a bit like Bruce's spider; try, try, try again. Sonas, Ann
Ann
Garden Wizard

Postby Pam » Thu Apr 07, 2005 5:42 am

Ann, if it's enamel paint you're using, which being spray paint, I'm guessing it is, you will probably find it will stay stuck to your pots much better if you give them a bit of a sanding beforehand. This gives the paint something to adhere to. Alternately, if you want to go to the trouble, there is a product you can buy called Penetrol, which 'conditions' products such as plastic, glass etc for painting with oil-based paints.

Paul, if your daughter wants long, straight stems, you may need to support them as they grow, as they'll tend to want to flop and grow in all different directions.

A tip: spray paint your pots before you put plants into them. :lol:
Pam
Garden Wizard

Postby Shotgun Paul. » Thu Apr 07, 2005 6:37 am

Morning Pam,

Thanks for the hint on the stakes it turns out that I have a few of them
out the back of the shed I will clean tem up tommorrow as I have to go out today and wont get time to do it along with other jobs that I have a need to do.

Regards,
Paul.
Shotgun Paul.
Head Curator

Postby Shotgun Paul. » Sat Apr 09, 2005 5:00 pm

Afternoon everybody,

I have found the stakes that I need and have given them a good clean with soapy water and they are drying out ready to use.
The seeds have been planted and time will take its course.
Its a wait and see what happens next.

Regards,
Paul.
Shotgun Paul.
Head Curator

Return to Perennials