gerbera seeds

A forum dedicated to perennials, the ornamental plants that last from year to year adding colour, shape and fragrance to the garden.

Moderators: Forum_mod, Pam, Luzy, Bulbinella

gerbera seeds

Postby Russell » Thu Jun 16, 2005 1:19 pm

well i never knew how hard it was to find gerbera seeds until now! after many phone calls around the country i finally rang searle's http://www.searle.com.au/ out at Kilcoy QLD. unfortuantly they don't sell direct to public but did give a list of some of their stores that have stocked their products.

after ringing 3 different stores i finally found one that had some is stock. well only 2 packs actually out at wynum hardware store. however i also phoned Hawkens nursery and they had plenty they said. the kind they had were from fothergills african daisy. and they were $3.50 per pack with only 15 seeds in them. the searle florest strain i think has about 35-40 seeds and they are only $2.75 per pack.

not sure what the difference is though. i am determined to grow gerber's :)
Russell
Groundsperson

Postby Ann » Sat Jun 18, 2005 11:05 am

That's not bad for Gerberas :D The only ones I bought were about 50c per seed more doubles and it was a Queensland man who I think may only sell on ebay now. I had problems with lots of seeds :oops: despite using the correct mix etc.
I'm a bit like Bruce's spider; try, try, try again. Sonas, Ann
Ann
Garden Wizard

Postby Russell » Sat Jun 18, 2005 11:22 am

WOW!, that is expensive. i have seen a price range of gerbera flowers ranging from $3.30 each up to $10.00 each.

i have decided to defy all odds as usual and plant my recent gerbera seeeds from MR. fothergills (african daisy).

the odds are against me because of the sudden drop in tempetures! it was like 13 deg this morning. so i have them in punnets and indoors. i run the aircon on heat for an hour and and let the room keep them warm over night. then run the heat again in the morning, then let them oustside as soon as the sun comes around.

so i will see how they go.
Russell
Groundsperson

Postby Pam » Sun Jun 19, 2005 6:43 am

Russell, even at the Mr Fothergills price, if you're not overly fussed about growing specific colours or whatever, I think I'd be more inclined to buy seedlings - a couple of dollars will buy a punnet of half a dozen plants. look for slight variations between the leaves and you'll be assured of different colours.
Pam
Garden Wizard

Postby Ann » Mon Jun 20, 2005 1:22 pm

I'm still not sure that the "African Daidy" is a Gerbera. I just looked it up and it's Arctotis acaulis. :cry: I just could not remember the name. Sorry. The seeds I got were from Merrick McCallum if he still trades.
Ann
Garden Wizard

Postby Russell » Mon Jun 20, 2005 1:43 pm

this is the seed packet i bought.

i mainly buy seeds because i like to try and grow from seeds only. i just find it a little more challenging and extremly cheap to do.

and if my dogs kill them or they die for some reason then it hasn't cost me a lot :) well that's my theory anyway. as over the past i have lost too many plants to varying circumstances.
Russell
Groundsperson

Postby Sam » Mon Jun 20, 2005 4:04 pm

Russell,

If you're after interesting seeds, try the "Diggers Club" (http://www.diggersclub.com.au from memory) - they've got all the old fashioned and heirloom strains. I got lisianthus seeds there, but have not tried them yet. Their vegetable seeds are great.
Sam
Garden Wizard

Postby Russell » Mon Jun 20, 2005 4:33 pm

thanks sam, i have been to http://www.diggers.com.au before but found no flower seeds. the site says they have them but due to either a lack of information and or poor site navagation i gave up.
Russell
Groundsperson

Postby Ann » Mon Jun 20, 2005 4:43 pm

Sorry Russell! :oops: But it has to be one or the other. I've never heard the Arctotis called Gerbera-in the Flora CD they are called Transvaal Daisy. OK, both from South Africa!! They just seemed too cheap. :D :D
Ann
Garden Wizard

Postby Russell » Mon Jun 20, 2005 5:50 pm

yes there are a few names floating around

"Gerbera jamesonii - H. Bolus ex J. D. Hook
Family: Asteraceae/Compositae (Daisy Family)
Common names: Gerbera, African daisy, Transvaal daisy, Barberton daisy" source: http://www.plantfacts.com/Family/Astera ... onii.shtml

"African Daisy
Dimorphotheca aurantiaca (Asteraceae)" source: http://aggie-horticulture.tamu.edu/wild ... /18.1.html
Russell
Groundsperson

Postby Sam » Tue Jun 21, 2005 7:16 am

Russell - send diggers an e-mail and request a catalogue - you'll be amazed. I know what you mean about the site - I think it may be mainly for ordering from.
Sam
Garden Wizard

Postby Russell » Tue Jun 21, 2005 11:47 am

I think it may be mainly for ordering from

yes that would explain when i looked at their online order form it wanted the product number. and i thought well where is the product for me to get the number?, lol. so yes i think your right.
Russell
Groundsperson

Postby Marrion » Wed Jun 22, 2005 10:01 am

You are right ,Ann, the African Daisy is an Arcotis not a Gerbera, they do have a similar form. However, the Arcotis grows very well here and I have had no luck whatsoever with Gerberas :( Have put a photo of my Arcotis on the Gallery.
Marrion

Postby Russell » Wed Jun 22, 2005 12:41 pm

so what do i have?
Russell
Groundsperson

Postby Ann » Wed Jun 22, 2005 1:05 pm

The only Gerbera I have is a potted one I was given!!! :D It's a pretty yellow. I may try seeds-yet again from it :cry: - or try dividing.
Ann
Garden Wizard

Postby Russell » Wed Jun 22, 2005 1:18 pm

i mean according to the packet i have in the pic an aftrican daisy gerbera. but your saying it can't be?
Russell
Groundsperson

Postby Marrion » Fri Jun 24, 2005 9:06 pm

Russell the Fothergills seeds shown on the packet are definitely Gerberas, otherwise they would be labelled Arcotis or African Daisy.
Marrion

Postby Pam » Mon Jun 27, 2005 7:27 am

Russell, that can be one of the problems with common names. Several plants can go by the same common name, and these are often area-specific. For instance, if I mentioned 'double g's' not too many of our members are likely to know what I'm talking about, whereas if I called them cat-heads probably a few more would know what I was talking about.

If I was discussing bindiis, people from different parts of the country would think of different plants. I have heard Gerberas refered to as African Daisies, but usually by gardeners overseas.

Sow your seeds in early Spring, around 6mm deep. They should germinate in 10 to 21 days.
Pam
Garden Wizard

Postby Russell » Mon Jun 27, 2005 7:54 am

thanks Marrion and Pam, always learning :)

it has been an ongoing concern the last 10 years to get a garden that works for my wife and i. i recently stripped it all back to bare bones again and am re seeding and designing our garden layout. hopefully this time things might stay and the dogs won't destroy everything! :)
Russell
Groundsperson

Postby Bulbinella » Fri Jul 07, 2006 6:28 pm

Russell, try Kings Seeds, they have a fantastic seed catalogue which includes Gerbera's (Gerbera jamesoni)

http://www.kingsseeds.com.au/
Bulbinella
Garden Wizard

Next

Return to Perennials