Summer Flowers

This is the Garden Express Summer Garden Photo Competition. Entrants need to be Garden Express Forum members. Please refer to the Competition Terms & Conditions and the specific Judging Criteria and Prize announcements. Entries close March 17th 2006. Competition now closed - winners have been announced.

Summer Flowers

Postby mic » Fri Dec 09, 2005 10:00 pm

Hope this doesn't take forever to load, the first time I've tried to load a photo. (actually 2nd, first ended up as a thumbnail size!!)
Roses have had their first flush of roses and only have a few blooms. If I can beg, plead or maybe threaten them to bloom profusely before this competition ends I am going to renter this exact spot!!
mic
Head Gardener

Postby mic » Fri Dec 09, 2005 10:05 pm

:oops: :oops: :oops: Anyone know how to move a post to the correct forum?? This was supposed to be in the rose competition!!
mic
Head Gardener

Postby Pam » Sat Dec 10, 2005 5:27 am

It's an absolutely gorgeous spot, Mic. If you contact Ian he will move it for you.
Pam
Garden Wizard

Postby Marrion » Sat Dec 10, 2005 8:26 am

Beautiful setting, Mic, why don't you enter it in both places am sure it will qualify for both (Y)
What is the blue flowering bush on the left?
Marrion

Postby mic » Sat Dec 10, 2005 9:54 am

Hello all! Marrion the blue flowers are a solanum or blue potato bush, the one to the left is a standard taken from a cutting. Behind the yellow flowers is another one. When they flower well they are almost completely blue, the best I've ever seen mine are after a summer storm with plenty of rain. I've been trying ot convince these ones to perform for Christmas but they are a bit reluctant!! There aren't any bulbs anywhere here unless the very very late planted gladiolis burst out before March so I don't think it qualifies for the summer competition.
mic
Head Gardener

Postby Luzy » Sat Dec 10, 2005 11:03 am

Pam got it with the Absolutely Gorgeous, mic! Lovely mixture. And I wonder where that path goes to? Well done! :D :D
Luzy
Garden Wizard

Postby mic » Sat Dec 10, 2005 3:03 pm

Unfortunately Luzy around that corner at the moment there isn't much :D
This area is undergoing a revamp a the moment we laid roll down lawn in October and put up the Neeta screen fence also. It is North of my house so I am trying to get a bit of a courtyardy??? feel to this area as it will beautiful in the winter. We also replaced some very dodgy retaining wall with limestone and put in some great steps. (The ones my husband put in 10 years ago required very long legs, this unfortunately I don't have!!!) My eldest son has already had a close call with a snake sunbathing on the new steps so now I have an attractive piece of black pipe sitting outside my door :(
mic
Head Gardener

Postby Damien » Sat Dec 10, 2005 10:16 pm

that picture looks great. Am officially jealous. I was out in the garden today..... its young. I keep reminding myself that i stripped it of everything only a year ago.

I like the packed look, with height and various levels. With plants in bloom all year round.... its getting there..

I so need a camera! put up a Before and after shot..... before being now and after being next year!

Damien
"oh that says plant one metre apart... oh i see..."
Damien
Head Curator

Postby mic » Sat Dec 10, 2005 10:31 pm

Your description sounds like my ideal garden too Damien!!
mic
Head Gardener

Postby Marrion » Sun Dec 11, 2005 9:25 am

Gardeners need patience and most of us don't have it :lol: :lol: we want everything fully grown overnight. and as soon as everything has grown we start pulling stuff out and replacing it with things that we think will look better :-?
Did you ask Father Christmas for a camera Damien?
Marrion

Postby Guest » Sun Jan 29, 2006 6:51 am

Looks nice Damien

Postby Guest » Sun Jan 29, 2006 6:52 am

sorry i meant Mic :roll: :P

Postby Lea » Fri Feb 03, 2006 11:04 pm

Great photo Mic, your garden looks so inviting and enjoyable and well cared for - the mix of colours are really relaxing too - I'd like to sit there and relax (Y) :D
"The butterfly does not count years, but moments, and therefore has enough time." - Rabindranath Tagore
Lea
Head Curator

Postby mic » Fri Feb 03, 2006 11:13 pm

Thanks Lea. This area was revamped this year and because it is where we walk to the front door it gets looked after more than other parts of the garden :oops: I hadn't looked at this photo for a while and as I mentioned in my post to you it is interesting to see how much a garden grows, the white roses and the purple bush on the left are now touching and the only one who can safely walk through is 5 years old!!!
My camera currently has flat batteries :( and I can't buy any locally, the nearest bigger town is over an hours drive...but am looking forward to posting more photos!!
I'm not sure how relaxing my garden would be with 4 dogs 3 kids and a kangaroo :roll: :roll: but anyone's welcome :D :D
mic
Head Gardener

Postby Lea » Fri Feb 03, 2006 11:18 pm

(Y) Cheers Mic - especially with your resident kangaroo, who I'd love to see via more photos too :D
"The butterfly does not count years, but moments, and therefore has enough time." - Rabindranath Tagore
Lea
Head Curator

Postby Pam » Sat Feb 04, 2006 6:23 am

My camera currently has flat batteries Sad and I can't buy any locally, the nearest bigger town is over an hours drive

When I first got my camera, Mic, it flattened a $10 set of duracels in about 6 or 8 pics. We promptly went and invested in some NIMH batteries and a fast recharger. Everything we have that runs on batteries runs on these batteries now, though the computer meece / mouses / mice seem to prefer alkalines - we recharge those too, though not in the NIMH recharger - I am told they'd explode! :shock:
Pam
Garden Wizard

Return to Summer Garden 2006 Photo Competition