Lilium Bed

This is the Garden Express Summer Garden Photo Competition. Entrants need to be Garden Express Forum members. Please refer to the Competition Terms & Conditions and the specific Judging Criteria and Prize announcements. Entries close March 17th 2006. Competition now closed - winners have been announced.

Lilium Bed

Postby Marrion » Tue Dec 13, 2005 10:18 am

The Asiatic liliums are now well open "Nerone","Ceb Dazzle" etc with Penstemons "Pink Cloud" "Sour Grapes","Mother of Pearl" and roses in the background

Last edited by Marrion on Sat Dec 17, 2005 8:21 am, edited 1 time in total.
Marrion

Postby Damien » Tue Dec 13, 2005 1:41 pm

wow wish my liliums looked that good! I planted a couple, they died so i ripped them out. Few months later when spring hit... they came up again healthier than ever!

Still that shot is amazing.

Damien
"oh that says plant one metre apart... oh i see..."
Damien
Head Curator

Postby Luzy » Tue Dec 13, 2005 4:20 pm

I agree with Damien's 'wow'! That's a sensational bed. :D :D The liliums have such wonderful colours and the penstemons fill it up beautifully (must look into some of those... :lol: )
Luzy
Garden Wizard

Postby Marrion » Tue Dec 13, 2005 6:34 pm

Luzy wrote:and the penstemons fill it up beautifully (must look into some of those... :lol: )

They are such an under-rated plant, Luzy, they flower for months and I find myself reluctantly cutting them back (harshly) at the beginning of winter so they won't be straggly and will bloom again in early summer, there are so many varieties of them, GE did have them but not sure if they are still available there.
Marrion

Postby mic » Tue Dec 13, 2005 10:46 pm

Oh....this is stunning!! Those colours are just what is needed in summer and at Christmas
I was also inspired by your iris and roses photo and have spent some time looking through GE catalogues to determine when different things are planted.
I am coming up with a list of plants that I want to grow over the next year,
Marrions bearded iris, Luzy's Christmas lilies and defintely the asiatic lilies,
from another thread have been inspired to put in some sunflowers and have enjoyed Kitkats descriptions of her edible garden.

Do you think Marrion you could get that cherry picker of your daughters and take an aerial view of your garden...would love to see how it is all laid out :D :D :D
School holidays is taking its toll on time spent here on the computer... but hope to continue to get inspiration from what others are doing.
Have to say it again that photo is beautiful!!
mic
Head Gardener

Postby Pam » Wed Dec 14, 2005 5:48 am

That's another gorgeous-looking spot, Marrion. If I could get that sort of co-operation between my flowering bulbs and the other plants around them I'd be happy.
Pam
Garden Wizard

Postby Marrion » Wed Dec 14, 2005 7:13 am

I have to say Pam, that is was not from planning it was pure accident :lol: The Penstemons were there already and there was a vacant spot for the Liliums. I had also bought some Black Panther agapanthus from GE a couple of seasons ago that didn't seem to be growing too well in the spot planned for them,so dug them up and put them in this area too and they loved it, and are now showing their first flower buds (Y)
Marrion

Postby mic » Fri Dec 16, 2005 11:05 am

Hi Marrion :oops: :oops: I'm forever asking you questions...but... I have some penestomens in my garden which I bought as potted colour I presumed they were an annual and that I would pull them out once they had 'gone off' . I see they are a perrenial, what do I do with them, they have a few almost finished flowering spikes at the moment do I take these off or should I take more of the plant off?? Will they die right down??
mic
Head Gardener

Postby Marrion » Fri Dec 16, 2005 3:26 pm

Ask as many questions as you wish, mic, thats what the forum is all about, I ask lots myself (Y) :)
Have started a new thread in "Perennials" for Penstemons. :)
Marrion

Postby Damien » Fri Dec 16, 2005 11:07 pm

I find that the liliums look almost like fake flowers..... and yet they're not. ;) Extremely vibrant

Damien
Damien
Head Curator

Postby Marrion » Sat Dec 17, 2005 8:22 am

Yes, Damien, a bit like those "placcy" ones you used to see in the shops :lol: :lol: :lol:
Marrion

Postby Pam » Sat Dec 17, 2005 4:40 pm

Oh no, Marrion, there's nothing quite like the placcy ones you used to see in the shops (thank goodness).
Pam
Garden Wizard

Postby Luzy » Sun Dec 18, 2005 8:06 am

We had a neighbour a few years back who made good use of cheap placcy flowers - she'd stick them in the ground around her other plants and have 'perpetual' flowers... :? (apparently, her friends never caught on :lol: )
Luzy
Garden Wizard

Postby Damien » Sun Dec 18, 2005 5:57 pm

Thats a brilliant idea!

Damien
Damien
Head Curator

Postby Luzy » Sun Dec 18, 2005 6:17 pm

I'm sure that Jean would sell you that idea if you asked nicely, Damien...

Actually, as a first-year grower of lilliums, I am surprised that ones in the garden have a so much lesser 'placcy' look than the ones in the supermarkets and other places. I've had to touch some of them to make sure they're real (but, then again, I touch most plants in the supermarket to see if they'e alive or not...) :lol:
Luzy
Garden Wizard

Return to Summer Garden 2006 Photo Competition