Tiger Lilies!

This is the Garden Express Summer Garden Photo Competition. Entrants need to be Garden Express Forum members. Please refer to the Competition Terms & Conditions and the specific Judging Criteria and Prize announcements. Entries close March 17th 2006. Competition now closed - winners have been announced.

Tiger Lilies!

Postby Lea » Fri Jan 06, 2006 5:45 pm

Growing amongst our Dicksonia antarctica ferns and adding colour ... but yellow :lol: ;)

"The butterfly does not count years, but moments, and therefore has enough time." - Rabindranath Tagore
Lea
Head Curator

Postby Marrion » Fri Jan 06, 2006 8:28 pm

Those lilies are lovely, have never grown them, are they easy to grow and hardy?
The yellow flowers look great against the ferns.
Marrion

Postby Luzy » Sat Jan 07, 2006 7:32 am

Tigers in the bush...

Beautiful photos and a lovely setting. I love how the petals kind of curl back. Is that an orchid peeking in the foreground of the first pic?

:D :D
Luzy
Garden Wizard

Postby Shotgun Paul. » Sun Jan 08, 2006 7:28 am

The flowers are absolutely fantastic.
Shotgun Paul.
Head Curator

Postby Lea » Sun Jan 08, 2006 4:40 pm

:D Thanks Marrion, Luzy, Paul (Y) Yes, Marrion, they're so easy to grow, apparently the bulbs are eaten as vegetables in China! I'd love to find the classic orange flowered forms - I love how the petals curl too, Luzy - my Mum used to grow them (the orange ones) outside my bedroom window when I was a little girl :D And those orange Tiger Lilies would compliment these yellow ones - they'd look great together, wouldn't they?

Luzy, that's the leaves of a daylily, and one from GE too 8)
"The butterfly does not count years, but moments, and therefore has enough time." - Rabindranath Tagore
Lea
Head Curator

Postby Pam » Sun Jan 08, 2006 6:30 pm

Ohhh, they're just gorgeous! And it looks like your tree ferns are beginning to get a nice bit of height to them too. They provide a nice contrast to the lilies. I hope you're not planning on getting rid of the tufts amongst the pavers any time soon - it looks terrific!
Pam
Garden Wizard

Postby Lea » Tue Jan 10, 2006 11:23 pm

Thank you Pam ... I'm especially pleased that you like the tufts of grass amongst the pavers ... it's funny, we were worried they looked messy, and were wondering what we should use on them ... didn't really want to use that once-a-year path-weeder that some "neat freaks" advocate ;) And now you specifically point them out and say they look terrific! You all make me look at our garden through new eyes - thank you, Pam 8)
Lea
Head Curator

Postby Pam » Wed Jan 11, 2006 5:59 am

If it gets to the point where it really does start to look messy, Lea, you can pour boiling water on them.

I have reason to believe that a good strong bicarb solution might kill weeds too - hubby and I are planning to experiment to check, once the weather stays dry long enough, and will report back the results.
Pam
Garden Wizard

Postby Lea » Wed Jan 11, 2006 2:12 pm

:D Thanks a lot Pam - I've actually used boiling water on weeds before, with great results ... but I'd kind of forgotten about it and didn't think of it :oops: ... the boiling water's a really good idea (Y)
Lea
Head Curator

Postby Guest » Sun Jan 29, 2006 6:46 am

Just Superb! and unusual, excellent choice
surely a 2nd placer

Postby Lea » Fri Feb 03, 2006 11:07 pm

Thanks Guest ;) But what do you mean, 2nd? ;) :lol:
Lea
Head Curator

Postby Pam » Sat Feb 04, 2006 6:26 am

But what do you mean, 2nd?

Ah, this narrows things down a bit - our mysterious 'guest' is obviously someone who already has an entry in the comp! :D
Pam
Garden Wizard

Postby Guest » Sat Feb 04, 2006 11:26 am

well no offence, i already commited did-dugs 2nd picture as the winner,
it just has more in it, and it looks like even i could grow something like that and enter this competition next year, so it's a winner in my eye.

so i had no choice but to place you a very close 2nd :)
the best flower in the comp'

Postby Lea » Sun Feb 05, 2006 2:15 pm

;) Haha - no worries, Guest 8)
Lea
Head Curator

Postby Guest » Mon Feb 06, 2006 1:20 pm

I see the competition is getting fierce :lol:
well, pop used to always say, go in all guns blazing or don't go in at all :)

This is great, nothing like competitive spirit!
the suspense is killing me, it's like calm before a storm.

will Pam come in at the end with a spectacular show of tropical gardening at it's best? perhaps Luzy's hiding a gem behind the plum tree?
or will mic ever get over that snake and step back into the garden?

it's just too much, and i'm even suspecting that Kitkat is actually a cat that worked out how to take a pic of herself!
Very creative use of vegetables and your just soo gourgeous puss!

Postby Pam » Tue Feb 07, 2006 6:13 am

will Pam come in at the end with a spectacular show of tropical gardening at it's best?

Not likely, unless the garden suddenly does something overnight, and the camera comes back from the doctor in time, and ....................

I would hate to have to be the judges on this one - they're all just such different pics, and really, they all deserve to win.
Pam
Garden Wizard

Postby Marrion » Tue Feb 07, 2006 10:15 am

Pam wrote:I would hate to have to be the judges on this one - they're all just such different pics, and really, they all deserve to win.

Couldn't agree more, Pam, and isn't it wonderful to see so many entries making the competition worthwhile (Y) (Y) (Y)
What's wrong with your camera? it seems to be taking ages to fix :roll: tell them to get a move on :lol: time is running out :lol:
Marrion

Postby Luzy » Tue Feb 07, 2006 5:13 pm

Pam, if you can find out where to get an overnight garden miracle, could you let me know, please! :lol:
Luzy
Garden Wizard

Postby mic » Tue Feb 07, 2006 11:15 pm

I liked the post from guest?? I'm well over the snake but no camera!! By the time I get somewhere to get new batteries my roses will have done their next flush!! There certainly is some fantastic photos and I wouldn't want to be choosing either!!
mic
Head Gardener

Return to Summer Garden 2006 Photo Competition