Spiders in the garden

This is the Garden Express Summer Garden Photo Competition. Entrants need to be Garden Express Forum members. Please refer to the Competition Terms & Conditions and the specific Judging Criteria and Prize announcements. Entries close March 17th 2006. Competition now closed - winners have been announced.

Spiders in the garden

Postby Pam » Thu Jan 12, 2006 11:15 am

I've been trying for the past week or so to get a decent shot of this part of the garden, and finally had some success.

The purple flower to the right of the pic is Ruellia brittoniana. The vincas flower almost non-stop in our climate and the Iresine (the red plant to the right is as tough as old boots - a good performer i dense shade or bright sun.

It's not the best shot of the spider lily, but about the best I'm capable of in the garden setting, without finally resorting to reading the camera's manual. :lol:

Pam
Garden Wizard

Postby Marrion » Thu Jan 12, 2006 1:49 pm

Lovely contrasts again, Pam, well done (Y)
Marrion

Postby Luzy » Thu Jan 12, 2006 7:39 pm

Whoo hoo, Pam! I was hoping we'd get to see where your Spider Lillies live. Looks great. Your garden seems so lush and full and, well, north-ish (:oops:). Do you have a Salvia/Sage in there as well? Great looking bark on the tree and lovely Hibiscus. And, is that the Ruellia brittoniana on our left (of course I had to look it up...)? Beautiful patch! :D :D
Luzy
Garden Wizard

Postby Damien » Thu Jan 12, 2006 9:02 pm

I hate spiders...... hmm cant even look at a photo.

I saw this thread here when i logged on... avoided it... avoided it. Then curiosity got the better of me... to find that its about a plant!

Im such a twit.

Anywho... carry on.

Damien
"oh that says plant one metre apart... oh i see..."
Damien
Head Curator

Postby Marrion » Fri Jan 13, 2006 7:01 am

Damien wrote:I hate spiders...... hmm cant even look at a photo.
I saw this thread here when i logged on... avoided it... avoided it. Then curiosity got the better of me... to find that its about a plant!
Im such a twit.

Don't feel bad, Damien, I have an aversion to frogs and shudder when I look at those froggy photos, I have no problem with spiders :lol: :lol:
Marrion

Postby Pam » Fri Jan 13, 2006 8:10 am

Do you have a Salvia/Sage in there as well?

Yes, Luzy, right down in the bottom right-hand side the pink 'dot' is salvia coral nymph, and there is cullinary sage in there as well. The tall pinkish spike to the left is an aloe - A. ferox, I think.

It would be nice if everything co-operated and flowered on cue, but if I wait too long the spider lily will have been and gone. This area is still fairly young - considerably less than a year, apart from the trees and shrubs, which were already there, so hopefully within the next couple of years the bulbs will thicken out a bit and put on a longer-lasting show.
Pam
Garden Wizard

Postby kitkat » Fri Jan 13, 2006 2:37 pm

Nice collection Pam and so lush ...it does look tropical and almost good enough to eat! :lol:
kitkat
Head Curator

Postby Guest » Sun Jan 29, 2006 6:53 am

bugger, no spiders

Return to Summer Garden 2006 Photo Competition