A spot of colour

This is the Garden Express Summer Garden Photo Competition. Entrants need to be Garden Express Forum members. Please refer to the Competition Terms & Conditions and the specific Judging Criteria and Prize announcements. Entries close March 17th 2006. Competition now closed - winners have been announced.

A spot of colour

Postby Luzy » Sun Jan 29, 2006 3:28 pm

The lonely Crocosmia (called Lucifer) has decided to show the Callas what they're supposed to do. There are also a couple of Penstemons that are waiting to flower again, some very young Salvias and the Silver Anniversary Buddlia is putting on a bit of a show. And, in the bottom right, are some Grape Hyacinths coming up...

:D
Luzy
Garden Wizard

Postby Marrion » Sun Jan 29, 2006 3:33 pm

Love the contrasts, Luzy (Y)
How tall does that Buddlia grow?
Marrion

Postby Luzy » Sun Jan 29, 2006 7:12 pm

Thank you, Marrion. The Buddlia is supposed to get to about 1.5 metres - much shorter than the Salvia that's showing top-right (it's passed the five-foot mark now and still hasn't budded-up). I was hoping that no-one would notice that I have planted, ahem..., perhaps just a little close... :oops: (Another thing to sort out for next season, I suppose :lol:.)
Luzy
Garden Wizard

Postby Pam » Mon Jan 30, 2006 6:59 am

I don't know how many dozen of those crocosmias I pulled out recently! They literally grow like weeds in these parts.

Your callas look like they're far too happy to be bothered with flowering - mine have given up dealing with the heat and gone into dormancy - no flowers, of course!

I was hoping that no-one would notice that I have planted, ahem..., perhaps just a little close...

If anyone says anything, simply tell them you did it deliberately, for weed-suppression. :lol:

That's a very impressive buddleia!
Pam
Garden Wizard

Postby Marrion » Mon Jan 30, 2006 8:39 am

I read somewhere that you can never over-plant :lol: :lol: I reckon it's good to overplant and remove the stifled ones later (have been searching for some over-planted plants myself recently :oops:
Marrion

Postby Pam » Mon Jan 30, 2006 8:42 am

have been searching for some over-planted plants myself recently

It's more embarrassing to suddenly come accross a plant when you are doing a little maintenance, that you had forgotten was there! :lol:
Pam
Garden Wizard

Postby Luzy » Mon Jan 30, 2006 6:13 pm

Weed-suppression - I like that! :lol: :lol: :lol:

I've been telling myself that since the Callas are growing so much better this year that of course they'll flower next year... (yn) (And I've always liked garden surprises, though I wish I could remember where I put some species tulips after they died down - it was in a 'good place' at the time. :oops: )
Luzy
Garden Wizard

Postby Pam » Mon Jan 30, 2006 6:18 pm

Yes, I remembered this morning that the area that I was planning to put under a 20cm layer of mulch has a clump of sleeping arums in there ....... somewhere ........... :?
Pam
Garden Wizard

Return to Summer Garden 2006 Photo Competition