My bay window

This is the Garden Express Summer Garden Photo Competition. Entrants need to be Garden Express Forum members. Please refer to the Competition Terms & Conditions and the specific Judging Criteria and Prize announcements. Entries close March 17th 2006. Competition now closed - winners have been announced.

My bay window

Postby Kerrie » Mon Jan 30, 2006 11:47 am

This is the first gardenbed I overhauled when we bought this house, and I'm thrilled with the way the bulbs have filled it out. The leaves on the calla lillies are so decorative! I hoped for more flowers at one time to show off this bed, but they've been really staggered.

Kerrie
Kerrie
Curator

Postby Luzy » Mon Jan 30, 2006 6:17 pm

Kerrie, that's a beautiful bed! (Y) And your Callas are so humongous! :D :D Love all the shades of green and the different leaf shapes - I reckon it works really well. How old is the garden?
Luzy
Garden Wizard

Postby Kerrie » Tue Jan 31, 2006 12:29 am

This is the third year I've had bulbs in it. All the lillies really seem to love that location, it only gets morning sun so is shaded from the intense afternoon heat we have been getting this summer. The only issue is keeping up the water supply - it's so well sheltered it doesn't get ANY natural rainfall, so I have to water it regularly or the callas get a bit limp.

Kerrie
Kerrie
Curator

Postby Marrion » Tue Jan 31, 2006 8:05 am

Looks great, Kerrie, so tropical, (Y) you must be doing a good job of keeping the water up to it. Gardens under the eaves are lovely but do miss out on rainfall don't they.
Marrion

Postby Lea » Fri Feb 03, 2006 11:03 pm

Really pretty, Kerrie - looks very lush (Y) Is that a monsteria against the corner? :D
"The butterfly does not count years, but moments, and therefore has enough time." - Rabindranath Tagore
Lea
Head Curator

Postby Kerrie » Sat Feb 04, 2006 4:15 pm

Yes it is, I have to cut it back regularly or it overtakes everything else down that end of the garden! It thrives on neglect. The leaves do create a lovely backdrop, though.

I water the gardenbed twice a week, with our water situation I feel guilty every time I use drinking grade water for the garden, so sometimes I siphon the kids bathwater out the front with a hose. When it rains I put out big tubs on the back porch and catch a few inches of water for that gardenbed. It's really too well tucked away!

Kerrie
Kerrie
Curator

Return to Summer Garden 2006 Photo Competition