Rain lillies

This is the Garden Express Summer Garden Photo Competition. Entrants need to be Garden Express Forum members. Please refer to the Competition Terms & Conditions and the specific Judging Criteria and Prize announcements. Entries close March 17th 2006. Competition now closed - winners have been announced.

Rain lillies

Postby Luzy » Sun Feb 12, 2006 3:39 pm

This is their third year, but it still amazes me - a good dump of rain and all of a sudden the Rain Lillies are flowering like mad. Unfortunately, I had recently given the lillies and the Lobelia that share this 'pot' a rather rough hair cut with the garden shears... :oops: :oops: But it looks like there are more buds to come.
Can anyone tell me how Rain Lillies can tell the difference between a hose and a rain cloud? :?

:D
Luzy
Garden Wizard

Postby Guest » Sun Feb 12, 2006 6:16 pm

atmospheric presssure

Postby Lea » Sat Feb 18, 2006 12:59 am

At first I thought that was an old wheelbarrow, Luzy :D Really pretty 8)
"The butterfly does not count years, but moments, and therefore has enough time." - Rabindranath Tagore
Lea
Head Curator

Postby Pam » Sat Feb 18, 2006 6:39 am

It's not a wash tub - what is is?
Pam
Garden Wizard

Postby Luzy » Sat Feb 18, 2006 11:14 am

Well, Lea, there is an old wheelbarrow in the background...

Pam, the 'pot' is an old set of shelves that we salvaged from the garage when we first moved here - a few holes were drilled into what became the bottom, and... :lol:
Luzy
Garden Wizard

Postby Pam » Sat Feb 18, 2006 12:28 pm

(Y) Cool! :)
Pam
Garden Wizard

Postby Luzy » Sat Feb 18, 2006 5:46 pm

The 'shelves' have been potted up for about two years, now, so don't know how long they'll last - I'm very careful when I move them... And the Rain Lillies are actually flowering more - very pleased! :D

The old wheelbarrow in the background got a bit of a new lease of life today. I've tried several plants in it, to varying degrees of success - I'll put the latest try into the Garden Gallery as a 'before'. Hopefully, there'll be a 'later' :lol: :lol:
Luzy
Garden Wizard

Postby Marrion » Sat Feb 18, 2006 7:42 pm

What a great idea, Luzy, good luck with the barrow, mine is sometimes wonderful and other times looking sadly neglected. I did find that lining it with plastic helped to stop it drying out (I used a garbage bag).
Marrion

Return to Summer Garden 2006 Photo Competition