A rose in the garden

This is the Garden Express Rose Photo Competition. Entrants need to be Garden Express Forum members. Please refer to the Competition Terms & Conditions and the specific Judging Criteria and Prize announcements. Entries close February 17th 2006. Competition now closed.

A rose in the garden

Postby Luzy » Tue Jan 17, 2006 5:55 pm

Got to start slowly, I suppose... This is 'Chukka', a David Austin called 'Charles Darwin' in its first season. His first flower, a while back, was the picture-like bright yellow. This flush started out at near-white and is slowly working a way through apricot to pale yellow. But every bloom has had a fragrance to put a smile on your face, from bud to petal drop. I reckon that Chukka can be whatever colour he wants! :lol:

:D
Luzy
Garden Wizard

Postby Marrion » Wed Jan 18, 2006 11:37 am

Lovely photo, Luzy, a subtle blend of colours that look great together.
Marrion

Postby Lea » Fri Jan 20, 2006 6:29 pm

That rose is a beautiful soft colour ... and it contrasts really nicely with the alyssum (Y) And what's that little deep red flower to the left?
"The butterfly does not count years, but moments, and therefore has enough time." - Rabindranath Tagore
Lea
Head Curator

Postby Luzy » Fri Jan 20, 2006 7:31 pm

Thank you, Lea. :D The red flower (that is hiding behing a young euphorbia that came up out of the compost) is a Dianthus called Crimsonia. It is a fantastic perennial that I grew from seed - with lots of variations of the colour and petal detail in each plant. (And the yellow blob behind it is a Dandelion - oh, sorry, part of our lawn :oops: )
Luzy
Garden Wizard

Postby Lea » Fri Jan 20, 2006 10:11 pm

Oh, a Dianthus - very pretty colour (Y) And never mind about the dandelion - our bunny would love to eat it for you ;)
"The butterfly does not count years, but moments, and therefore has enough time." - Rabindranath Tagore
Lea
Head Curator

Postby Shotgun Paul. » Sat Jan 21, 2006 6:47 am

Lea wrote:Oh, a Dianthus - very pretty colour (Y) And never mind about the dandelion - our bunny would love to eat it for you ;)

Good thinking about eating the bunny looks good on my plate alongside
of some veges. 8) 8) 8) 8)
Shotgun Paul.
Head Curator

Postby Pam » Sat Jan 21, 2006 7:00 am

That's a lovely shot, Luzy - it would make a great plant label!
Pam
Garden Wizard

Postby Pam » Sat Jan 21, 2006 7:03 am

Good thinking about eating the bunny looks good on my plate

Lea, do you want a volunteer to hold him down while you chop him up for compost?
Pam
Garden Wizard

Postby Guest » Sun Jan 29, 2006 6:24 am

I think the rose looks grand

good job on that one. (Y)

Return to Rose Photo 2006 Competition