Grevillea yello/cream colour recommendation

A forum for discussions and questions related to propagating and caring for Australian native plants.

Moderators: Forum_mod, Pam, jack

Grevillea yello/cream colour recommendation

Postby brisjan » Wed Sep 01, 2010 10:47 am

I am a first timer on this forum and a novice gardener living in Brisbane on the river. After no success with gardenias due to scale, losts of ants, I want to replace the fence row in my garden with grevilleas as I like their hardiness and they should complement the other plants in that bed. I want a yellow flower, cream rather than bright yellow. I need them to be 2m max in height and will prune if necessary. I am quite keen on grevillea moonlight but open to suggestions on alterntive varieties before I take the plunge. Many thanks. (#)
brisjan
Lawn trimmer

Re: Grevillea yello/cream colour recommendation

Postby Pam » Wed Sep 01, 2010 11:03 am

You'll probably have to go a long way to beat moonlight for toughness and prolific flowering. Ivory whip is a bit of a stunner, though needs to be grafted, so will be more expensive.
Pam
Garden Wizard

Postby Sam » Wed Sep 01, 2010 11:57 am

I've got both that Pam suggested and love them. A big favourite is also "Peaches and Cream" - sort of a peach colour (obviously!) fading to cream at the other end of the flower.

Have been looking through to see if there is a photo, but this thread might interest you. There's a native plant sale on at Mt Coot-tha Botanic Gardens on Saturday and one of our members, Brill, will be there.

viewtopic.php?f=15&t=16761&p=174682&hilit=peaches#p174682

If you go along, make sure you have a chat to her. The thread mentions which plants she'll have.
“Tomatoes and oregano make it Italian, wine and tarragon
make it French, sour cream makes it Russian, lemon and
cinnamon make it Greek, soya sauce makes it Chinese, Garlic
makes it good.” Alice May Brock, Alice’s Restaurant Cookbook.
Sam
Garden Wizard

Postby brill » Wed Sep 01, 2010 2:52 pm

There is another one. Pretty sure its called Silvereye Cream. It's one of the Honeybird series of grevilleas. it grows about 1-1.5mtrs high. BUT it will be VERY hard to find. There aren't many people propagating it or growing it. We do have the right to do both and finally got some mother stock but they flower virtually none stop (one reason why there aren't many available). We are waiting till the flowering slows down before we try propagating. Even then we are not expecting fantastic numbers. The lady doing our propagating is still learning what each individual species requires. Still, I'd check with your local nursery, regularly.
brill
Senior Curator

Postby Pam » Wed Sep 01, 2010 4:35 pm

brill wrote:There is another one. Pretty sure its called Silvereye Cream..

It appears to be locally produced, Brill? So it wouldn't need to be grafted? I couldn't find a picture, but it sounds lovely. (Amazing, the images a name can conjure up.)
Pam
Garden Wizard

Postby Sam » Wed Sep 01, 2010 5:31 pm

I don't want to know anything about it. I blame this forum for my new found addiction to natives and have no more room for them.

And NO, Pam, I'm not ripping out the roses!
Sam
Garden Wizard

Postby Sam » Wed Sep 01, 2010 5:39 pm

Okay, Brisjan - I've taken some photos for you.

First is the whole Peaches and Cream:

the camry 005.jpg
peaches and cream - bush

Then the flower:

the camry 006.jpg
peaches and cream

Finally - Ivory Whip, flower:

the camry 007.jpg
Ivory Whip
Sam
Garden Wizard

Postby brill » Wed Sep 01, 2010 5:43 pm

Yes, bred in Brisbane I believe. Think by Redlands nursery. They originally did them and gave the rights to a nursery in Nthern NSW which has since closed down (sold to developers). Redlands have given up on propagating grevilleas. They gave the rights to a nursery in nthern NSW and myself (maybe others but don't know for sure). The other nursery seems a little disorganised because that's where I got the mother stock from and I had to ring a number of times before I got them (maybe they just didn't want me to have them!!!). Anyway they do produce some in 180ml/200ml so sometimes a retailer can get lucky and have them. There is a lemon one and a pink one too, plus one called Autumn Waterfall (have been told it doesn't flower as much and is more tricky to propagate). We haven't managed to get mother stock of that yet.
brill
Senior Curator

Postby brisjan » Thu Sep 02, 2010 2:29 pm

Thanks for the information, ideas and photos. Unfortunately I will be away this weekend so will miss the Mt Cootha plant sale. Next week I will get on the trail of finding a supply of Moonlight. Ivory Whip looks really lovely, but probaly a needle in a haystack exercise. Two final questions. Any suggestion of nurseries around Bris who are good grevillea stockists? What distance apart do you suggest I plant each one? Thanks (#)
brisjan
Lawn trimmer

Postby Sam » Thu Sep 02, 2010 4:39 pm

A little north of Brisbane, but you can't go past Fairhill at Yandina. They also have a beautiful garden, picnic area and restaurant. If you ever want to go, sing out - we've had a gettogether there before. Theo's at Kallangur is also very good.
Sam
Garden Wizard

Postby bottletree » Fri Sep 03, 2010 7:19 pm

Also Nielsens Native Nursery () has a good selection of Grevilleas - and some of them are the grafted varieties. I don't remember a silvereye though...

http://www.nielsensnativenursery.net/

I had been trying to find a Coastal Sunset for ages, and ended up finding it at Bunnings :)
bottletree
Senior Curator

Postby 123-kenmar » Tue Jul 22, 2014 10:09 am

Hi brisjan,
Finally found Grevillea Honeybird Silvereye Cream pbr at Killuke Nursery Kempsey 0265660141. You were looking for it a few years ago. They are currently growing about 200 which will be ready in about 8 weeks. It was difficult to find as pbr means you have to have a licence to grow it. I think it was originally grown on the Sunshine Coast by Mark & Anne Herrington many years ago. I first saw it at Neilsens Native Nursery , Loganholme.
123-kenmar
Apprentice

Postby Schuey » Tue Jul 22, 2014 3:11 pm

Yellow coloured Grevilleas that I have growing in Perth and would consider:
Golden Lyre: incredibly prolific bloomer, dripping with nectar. Doesn't get up as tall as the ones below.
Honey Gem: old favourite. Prefers a really sunny spot. More a golden/slightly orange bloom than strictly yellow.
Golden Yulo: nice blooms but not as prolific as golden lyre.

If you want a taller Golden shrub I'd choose honey Gem. If lower and spreading I'd go for Golden Lyre.

Cream coloured:
Ivory whip: small to medium shrub
Moonlight: Large shrub

I'd let size be the determinant for choosing Ivory whip or Moonlight. Both are well worth a spot in any garden bed.

If you want a Creamy/Salmon bloom go for Caloundra Gem. They grow BIG (3-4m+)

Overall I think moonlight is my favourite of the shrubs listed above followed by Golden Lyre because I prefer the Moonlight's more upright/ taller habit. Ivory Whip if you want a more compact shrub.

My climate in Perth is different to Brisbane though so humidity must be taken into account.

When I grow my Grevilleas I like to try and train them into a small tree. So I choose one with a straight stem that hasn't been cut at the top. This allows it to grow straight up. I then trim off the lower branches to create a tree like trunk and a clear understory. This gives me space to plant underneath.

Good luck with your choice
Schuey
Pruner

Return to Australian Natives