nitrogen-fixing symbiotic bacteria in root nodules

A forum for discussions and questions related to propagating and caring for Australian native plants.

Moderators: Forum_mod, Pam, jack

nitrogen-fixing symbiotic bacteria in root nodules

Postby GoldenWattle » Fri Dec 10, 2010 8:47 pm

I decided to remove a Eutaxia obovata earlier in the week and I noticed some nodules on the roots. I've since discovered this plant is leguminous. The rhizobia bacteria in the nodules take nitrogen gas (N2) out of the air and convert it to a form of nitrogen that's usable to the host plant. I used to think that green manure crops made N available to other plants, but it's purely the breaking down of them (when turned over in the soil) that adds N to the soil. As an aside, I know there is air in the soil, but I'm surprised these nodes wouldn't form above ground where presumably the access to air is greater.

In any event, given that acacias are leguminous too, does that mean these plants don't require fertiliser? Or would it be better to use a low N fertiliser for leguminous natives (since too much N can lead to excessive soft growth which is prone to pest attacks)? I know acacias aren't sensitive to P like the proteaceous natives, but can one kill them with kindness?

Cheers,
GoldenWattle (#)
GoldenWattle
Gardening Sage

Re: nitrogen-fixing symbiotic bacteria in root nodules

Postby Pam » Sat Dec 11, 2010 5:34 am

GoldenWattle wrote:I given that acacias are leguminous too, does that mean these plants don't require fertiliser?

No, they still require other nutrients. Growing in the wild they get these from composted fallen debris and the various insects etc and fungi that lives amongst it, along with visiting birds etc.

Anything that's not too high in nitrogen would be fine GW.

Cool pic! :D
Pam
Garden Wizard

Cheap Basketball Jerseys

Postby DavidScugh » Fri Mar 23, 2018 8:14 pm

?That was the first time we ve ever gotten to play together. As with the latest and geeky technology people are more conscious about their lifestyle and modernity. 3) Get good sleep : Lack of sleep is not good for a healthy life, Wholesale NBA Jerseys Cheap, it leads you to serious heat problems,Wholesale Jerseys Cheap, so take a healthy and happier sleep. Get more info on the different kinds of units.Trucks will travel in convoys of three vehicles with synchronised acceleration, braking and steering controlled using wireless technology by the lead vehicle, said the DfT who believes truck platooning could have major benefits for motorists and businesses in Britain.Cheap Jerseys. Their range of anecdotes that have been without faltering told to explain mother nature, their folklore, as well as their way of life.In their study?? published in the U. The way in which as well as fee where the product converts vitality into warmth and heats up the room is dependent upon the kind of heat tank you’ve got.The central bank data showed a total of 680 billion yuan of reverse repos were set to mature this week.Patrick Ogwel, assistant general secretary of the National Council of Sports told Xinhua in an interview late on Saturday that the executive of the Uganda Boxing Federation failed to explain the disappearance of the players. Steel garage doors can be good deterrents for would be thieves that want to gain access to the home through the garage.&rdquo;4.<br>Visit my site??http://www.cheapnbajerseyschinashop.com/
DavidScugh
Apprentice

Wholesale Hockey Jerseys From China

Postby DavidScugh » Fri Apr 27, 2018 8:13 pm

"Although difficult skill wise, the greatest part of these pieces is the strong emotional impact they possess. No flags need to be thrown. There are many associates who publish links for such applications. Strengthened nerves prevent leakage of semen even with slight arousal. Wholesale Jerseys. Internet marketing is an essential endeavor so therefore you have to be serious in your venture.Maehara said at a meeting of the party's lawmakers that he wanted to seize power from Prime Minister Shinzo Abe's government in the next lower house election and in lower house by elections to be held next month.one particular."I offered my candidacy to serve the country and take the country towards durable peace and economic prosperity but I realized that these noble objectives would be materialized in coordination with the team of Dr. I predict we will not evolve into mimes with text devices for communication.com. The commission rate is indeed handsome.Cheap NFL Jerseys From China.Cheap NFL Jerseys China Wholesale. The froth free water exits the float tank as the clarified effluent from the DAF unit.<br>Visit my site:http://www.cheapnfljerseysforwholesale.us.com/
DavidScugh
Apprentice

Return to Australian Natives