Problems with Weeping Lilly Pilly

A forum for discussions and questions related to propagating and caring for Australian native plants.

Moderators: Forum_mod, Pam, jack

Problems with Weeping Lilly Pilly

Postby tigeroo » Mon Dec 13, 2010 12:52 pm

I am looking for advice on a problem I have with a weeping lilly pilly tree (waterhousea floribunda)

I have about twelve of these trees, around 7 years old and about 5m high. Their growth has been curtailed by the lack of rain over the last four years but now they are really taking off, all but one that is...

Most of this particular tree's leaves are dry and 'burnt'. I have attached an image. There seem to be small instances of this condition on the trees either side but no where else. Up to now all I have tried is giving the tree extra water (from tanks) and using Seasol. I would be most grateful if someone could identify what is happening!
10122010270.jpg
tigeroo
Lawn trimmer

Re: Problems with Weeping Lilly Pilly

Postby tam » Mon Dec 13, 2010 8:15 pm

It looks sunburnt. Have you had a dig around the base? I know some of the soil around my plants was dry even after some rain.
tam
Gardening Sage

Postby tigeroo » Tue Dec 14, 2010 4:41 pm

Much appreciate the suggestion. The reason I don't think it is sunburn is that its is in a line of six identical trees and the others do not have the symptoms. You are right that when you dig around the base it can be dry but it gets what the others get!
tigeroo
Lawn trimmer

Postby brill » Wed Dec 15, 2010 11:49 am

Can't tell from the picture. Do the brown patches begin with a 'blister'. If so, it's a leaf miner.
Whatever it is, the damage is done and the only way to remove it is by pruning.
brill
Senior Curator

Postby Pam » Thu Dec 16, 2010 6:34 am

tigeroo wrote:Much appreciate the suggestion. The reason I don't think it is sunburn is that its is in a line of six identical trees and the others do not have the symptoms. You are right that when you dig around the base it can be dry but it gets what the others get!

I'd try applying some soil wetter. It could be something as simple as the soil in that area for some reason having become water repellant.
Pam
Garden Wizard

Postby tigeroo » Fri Dec 17, 2010 8:39 am

Many thanks for all the suggestions. I'm unsure whether the leaf issues start with a 'blister'. The new leaves that suffer this issue as well just seem to start going brown at the end 'point' of the leaf. The image I have attached is zoomable if you click on it and it is reasonable resolution so you can get right in there. As the vast majority of leaves are affected I am loathe to prune them as I would be removing pretty much all of its leaves!

The soil is quite wet at the moment so currently there are no water issues. I noticed yesterday that the tree is producing new growth and its certainly not too hot here in Melbourne right now so it will be interesting to see if the new leaves suffer the same fate. Out of interest how often can Seasol be applied?
tigeroo
Lawn trimmer

Postby zantrev » Mon Jan 13, 2014 11:52 am

Hi

I read this post with interest as i have exactly the same probem. Did you eventually determine the cause of the problem and the solution

thanks,
zantrev
Apprentice

Postby Keo » Mon Jan 13, 2014 4:30 pm

Looks like fertiliser burn to me. How often do you fertilise and how much? I'd ease off the seasol or if they are on a fence line perhaps they're copping it from something the neighbour is using on their side.
Keo
Groundsperson

Return to Australian Natives